Quick Question, (hopefully a quick answer)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with you 100% pufferfish.

I see leachate and the nitrates etc from hotels and all sorts of stuff from road runoff as probably the greatest environmental threats in the area.

The law also prohibits the use of non biodegradable suncream, but they dont seem to think about getting biodegradable diesel or gasoline..

The good thing about it is that whenever we say "no knives, gloves or suncream" someone always says "why" which is a great opening into a little conservation/awareness speech, and you have to start somewhere.

Im not going to say that Cancun/Coz is perfect as far as its environmental impact, but considering the massive development over the last thirty years, it could be a thousand times worse.

It is always a balance, conservation or recreation. You cant have your cake and eat it.

cancun mark:
Quick answer:

Leave the knife at home,

national park laws prohibit divers from carrying knives or wearing gloves in Cancun and Cozumel.
I'd avoided commenting here until this post. I know about the knife rule for Cozumel, but since I avoid Cancun like the plague (no personal offense intended Mark) I don't know the rules there.

There are no issues in the US with traveling with a knife in checked luggage. However, the Mexican government, in an attempt to deal with new US security policies, now personally open and inspect every piece of checked luggage. While it may be ok, I think it's entirely possible to get someone new, having a bad day, or just likes the knife and wants to keep it and lose your knife on the way back.

If, as Mark said, they are not allowed in Cancun, then why bother? Don't bring it.

James

Ok yes don't bring a knife but bring some EMT shears.

Last year on Cozumel we used Dive House out of FA and during the dive the boat hand was fishing all the time and caught some nice big ?Wahu. Offered to sell me a piece but declined. Very impressive how he reeled that thing in with no rod just a roll of monfilament. I guess for the locals the no fishing rules don't apply!

Well thank you everyone for helping me out there, I really do appreciate it. I know my trip is going to rock, and not haveing to deal with cops will make it even better.

Out
Pete

Pete,

Gloves are allowed only on dives at the wreck for going up or down the marker bouy line. The law might not allow it, but the dive guides have allowed them, and in fact they had gloves in their BC pocket for the rope when diving the wreck. Gloves just stay stowed away the rest of the time. Lots of "hazards" on old lines.

Wristshot

James Goddard:
I'd avoided commenting here until this post. I know about the knife rule for Cozumel, but since I avoid Cancun like the plague (no personal offense intended Mark) I don't know the rules there.

There are no issues in the US with traveling with a knife in checked luggage. However, the Mexican government, in an attempt to deal with new US security policies, now personally open and inspect every piece of checked luggage. While it may be ok, I think it's entirely possible to get someone new, having a bad day, or just likes the knife and wants to keep it and lose your knife on the way back.

If, as Mark said, they are not allowed in Cancun, then why bother? Don't bring it.

James
Just returned from Mexico, via Cancun airport where for the first time in three trips through this airport my bags were actually opened to be checked. This consisted of the inspector opening our dive bag, pushing aside the wet suits on the top, muttering "scuba gear?" to which I reply yes. He tells me to zip up my bag and we are on our way. At no point did he even come close to finding the knife stored in the outside zipper pouch of my regulator bag. I have never been impressed with the way any inspector has ever checked any bag at any airport. I always travel with my knife in checked bags, and it has never even been found by manual inspectors. X-ray machines, in airports that have them, I am sure see the knife, as well as the fins, booties, masks, BC's, regulators, and all the other crap we throw in our dive bag (one giant bag, two peoples worth of gear) You can put any dive knife in checked luggage and it will still be there when you get home. At least this has been my experience. Main reason I bring my knife is my wife and I never seperate out any of our gear. We keep it stored together in the same place at home, everything goes in the dive bag, everything always comes out and goes right back onto the scuba gear racks we set up in our guest room at home. This way, we never forget anything important, and always have everything we need.

In answer to the query on why no gloves - it makes it less likely people will touch coral, hang onto coral or play with critters.

I agree with Cancun Mark - all the rules of this National Park do irk some people but they are great conversation starters about the condition of the reef and what we can do in our small way to help preserve it. In the last year we have only had one person who didn't get it.

James Goddard:
However, the Mexican government, in an attempt to deal with new US security policies, now personally open and inspect every piece of checked luggage.
James

Nope.

As taucher said - he has been searched one in three times at Cancun, and I'd be willing to bet that was entering the country.

When you arrive in Cancun (and Cabo and Loretto), as you pass customs you push a button on a traffic light. Green - have a nice day, red - we search your bags. I landed in Cancun last month and we were almost last to go through the traffic lights. Of the entire airplane - not one red light!

As for leaving, your luggage is not hand searched in Cancun. Other places may be, but Cancun has x-ray machines. You can lock your bags on departure from Cancun before you check them in.

As for gloves and knives - well, bare hands make for better divers IMHO. No need for gloves unless you are on a wreck or need them due to cold. Vacation divers - the ones that dive far and few between - you know them - the reef crashers......put gloves on them and they'll get up close and personal with the reef. Keep them bare handed and they will stay a respectable distance away. Gloves really are an amazing phenominon on less experienced divers.

Knives - not needed for reef diving in Mexico. No one is going to kill anything with them - but they'll sure as heck poke and prod critters in a hole with them! The knife discussion always amuses me. Tell people to get EMT sheers if they are worried about line entanglement and they will tell how they "need" thier scuba knife. Truth is, too many people want to carry them for the shear "fun" and "image" of it. Get the shears - they are way more effective, easier to use and you have no hassles travelling with them. But then again, that wouldn't be nearly as "cool" as that 10" titanium blade strapped to your shin!

To answer the original question, you will no problem travelling with a knife in your checked luggage.

Scuba Duffer:
As for leaving, your luggage is not hand searched in Cancun. Other places may be, but Cancun has x-ray machines. You can lock your bags on departure from Cancun before you check them in.
Every time I've left Coz since 9/11 every checked bag going on the plane has been searched. The one time I did Cancun, again every checked bag was searched. My guess is it's terminal dependant. I went through the charter terminal, not the main terminal. There was not an X-Ray machine to be found for checked baggage and this was in April.

James

Back
Top Bottom