Quick release weight belt harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichiganScott

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ok, here goes, I'm a fairly large mammal. Large enough that when I had to have my wet suit custom made I tried to get them to make it white and black so as to resemble a small orca but alas they refused... It would have been GOOD.

Anyway my weight belt is a major problem. No, neither of my BC’s is weight integrated, and even if they were they would not be able to hold enough lead to sink my surprisingly "small" posterior (which is attached to a very large frame) and wet suit. Suffice it to say I don't sink! Not without a heck of a lot of weight. The problem I have is keeping my weight belt up (ref. the "small" posterior). The only way I have found I can dive without my belt ending up around my ankles is to put it around my midsection "Above" my hips which places it squarely under my BC, which is um, dangerous to say the least, making it virtually impossible for a weight dump in an emergency.

So I want a weight belt harness that has straps to hold it firmly in place weather I'm right side up or up side down, and has a quick release feature just in case...

Anyway I've checked with my LDS and I can purchase one for about a hundred and fifty bucks, but that is a bit more than I want to spend... And as I like to DIY, well I thought I might give this a try.

I have plenty of 2 inch webbing and two old BC's with quick release buckles/clasps, which I can use, as well as two old weight belts with pockets for the weight.

The harness part seems as though it should be easy enough but the quick release part that actually holds the weight is causing me some worry.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Scott,
I have seen a few suspender weight systems. I have a friend who makes such a system for geoduck divers they have to carry enough weight to walk on the bottom some times up to 70lbs. Unfortunately when that much weight hangs on a belt...well you know the rest.
One dumping system has webbing over each shoulder that uses a quick buckle to release each of the shoulder straps and the waist buckle works as they normally do. So to dump your weight you first release your waist buckle then release you shoulder buckles. The straps then slide over your shoulder and your weight is gone. Hopefully that helps. I bet someone on here has a nice diagram of what I am describing. Any questions feel free to contact me.

O

Ok, here goes, I'm a fairly large mammal. Large enough that when I had to have my wet suit custom made I tried to get them to make it white and black so as to resemble a small orca but alas they refused... It would have been GOOD.

Anyway my weight belt is a major problem. No, neither of my BC’s is weight integrated, and even if they were they would not be able to hold enough lead to sink my surprisingly "small" posterior (which is attached to a very large frame) and wet suit. Suffice it to say I don't sink! Not without a heck of a lot of weight. The problem I have is keeping my weight belt up (ref. the "small" posterior). The only way I have found I can dive without my belt ending up around my ankles is to put it around my midsection "Above" my hips which places it squarely under my BC, which is um, dangerous to say the least, making it virtually impossible for a weight dump in an emergency.

So I want a weight belt harness that has straps to hold it firmly in place weather I'm right side up or up side down, and has a quick release feature just in case...

Anyway I've checked with my LDS and I can purchase one for about a hundred and fifty bucks, but that is a bit more than I want to spend... And as I like to DIY, well I thought I might give this a try.

I have plenty of 2 inch webbing and two old BC's with quick release buckles/clasps, which I can use, as well as two old weight belts with pockets for the weight.

The harness part seems as though it should be easy enough but the quick release part that actually holds the weight is causing me some worry.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Dui Makes a Weight Harness with Suspenders.
SeaSoft makes the highest quality harness with suspenders I know.

SeaSoft Scuba Products
DUI - Weight & Trim Systems

jcf

Not to throw a wrench in your works, but you're a good candidate for a steel backplate with either steel weight plates or a heavy steel STA. You'll be surprised how much less weight you will need to carry on a belt, and how much more the belt is accessible. I'd look into the DSS plates or the hammerhead plate with heavy STA. Even if you build a weight harness as you are interested in, you're going to be much happier in a steel plate given your weight requirements. You should also consider using steel tanks exclusively if it's possible. Between a steel tank and 12lbs of weight with the plate/STA, you're going to find your lead requirement goes WAY down.

Having the exact same problem as you ( weight belt sliding down to my knees) I opted for the seasoft weight harness. Yes....its around 150 bucks but well worth the investment. The first time i used it i couldn't quit grinning and telling everyone that i WISHED they wouldv'e introduced us to this system back in open water class. You won't regret buying one. They also have add on non ditchable weights available as a separate purchase. I'll NEVER dive without it again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom