Quiz - Equipment - Dropped Scuba Tank

It's recommended that a scuba tank that has fallen from a moving vehicle or been dropped from a sign

• a. visually inspected

• b. emptied and refilled with fresh air

• c. hydrostatic/pressure tested

• d. repainted

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is a significant height?

As in the quiz question: It's recommended that a scuba tank that has fallen from a moving vehicle or been dropped from a significant height is _____ before filling and use.

If you are asking me, it was out of the back of an SUV hatch, and 2-3' at best (so the valve was about another 2 feet above that)..

For me there wasn’t enough info to go full hydro.

I had my rig fall off on my BAT (big a@@ truck) right onto my Kraken, it was laying down but something shifted and down it went, as soon as I get home I took it in the pool, everything worked fine, yoke bent a few chunks off of the can and later found a hairline crack in the can. Used a solvent I had and welded the pieces back on and sealed the crack and dove it.

For me there wasn’t enough info to go full hydro.

I had my rig fall off on my BAT (big a@@ truck) right onto my Kraken, it was laying down but something shifted and down it went, as soon as I get home I took it in the pool, everything worked fine, yoke bent a few chunks off of the can and later found a hairline crack in the can. Used a solvent I had and welded the pieces back on and sealed the crack and dove it.
Missing option in the poll:

e. weld the damaged bits

What is a significant height?

As in the quiz question: It's recommended that a scuba tank that has fallen from a moving vehicle or been dropped from a significant height is _____ before filling and use.
Good question. Guess I got this wrong as I guess the answer is a Hydro test. I'm surprised I've never come across that advice. Looks like I'm not the only one. Maybe it was covered in the DM course and I just forgot?
I should have figured that dropping it would mean structural damage and not something on the inside that a visual would now find. I didn't think it through.

Good question. Guess I got this wrong as I guess the answer is a Hydro test. I'm surprised I've never come across that advice. Looks like I'm not the only one. Maybe it was covered in the DM course and I just forgot?
I should have figured that dropping it would mean structural damage and not something on the inside that a visual would now find. I didn't think it through.
No, I'm with you, I put down visual inspection, we'll see when @Pedro Burrito reveals todays answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom