Quiz - Equipment - J-Valve

When used as designed, a J-valve will:

• a. serve as a warning device, alerting the diver when tank pressure is low.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • b. allow a diver to monitor air pressure without a submersible pressure gauge.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • c. give the diver an extra supply of air to finish the dive.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • d. both a and c are correct.

Votes: 89 66.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

E: Find out that somehow that level got pulled down and now you are truly out of air.

E: Find out that somehow that level got pulled down and now you are truly out of air.
I started off with the J-valve and developed the J-valve twitch where I was regularly checking that it had not been pulled down by something. Most of my early dives were 30 minutes because I never knew how much gas I had and I did not like to wait until I needed to pull it down.

I started off with the J-valve and developed the J-valve twitch where I was regularly checking that it had not been pulled down by something. Most of my early dives were 30 minutes because I never knew how much gas I had and I did not like to wait until I needed to pull it down.

Me too and years later when I went back to a DBL hose for picture taking and used a J valve I found that I still had that J-valve twitch! Now I have a banjo fitting for the DBL hose.

I also checked frequently, never got pulled down accidentally. I dived frequently in the California kelp and heard stories of accidental opening

I am a little young and inexperienced and never dove a j-valve, although learned about it enough to know how it works. I understand why it was used in 50-60-70’s but why would anybody use J-valve nowadays? Is this for situations when the visibility so low you can not read your depth gauge or a computer? Or is this a historical question?

For some reason at first my brain refused to accept "having your air cut off" as a "warning mechanism". Shows how soft I am :wink:.

I am a little young and inexperienced and never dove a j-valve, although learned about it enough to know how it works. I understand why it was used in 50-60-70’s but why would anybody use J-valve nowadays? Is this for situations when the visibility so low you can not read your depth gauge or a computer? Or is this a historical question?
Exactly, the zero vis type dives. I am starting to use them out of curiosity and to work my way towards true vintage. So there is a market/audience for them, albeit a small one.
Respectfully,
James

For some reason at first my brain refused to accept "having your air cut off" as a "warning mechanism". Shows how soft I am :wink:.
Air was not cut off, breathing resistance increased and you knew to pull the lever and ascend :). In those days, ascent was 60 ft/min and there was no safety stop. Using a steel 72, filled to 2450 psi, my ascent took less than 100 psi from as deep as 130 ft. I only dived a J valve for a couple years/around 50 dives, before I bought a SPG.

A contemporary ascent at 30 ft/min with a 3 min SS would take me a little under 250 psi, could still make it starting at 400 psi, but not with much leeway :)

My J-valve usage was in New England. We'd descend, take off each other's pull-rods, use them for (illegal) tickle-sticks for lobsters, then put them back on before surfacing. Our OOA plan was to reach back and push the lever down. I can't believe now that (1) we were so stupid, and (2) I could actually reach that lever in the full 7mm farmer-john that was a bit small.

Back
Top Bottom