Quiz - Physics - Minimum Displacement

A 600 kg/1350 lb concrete block lies in 19 m/63 ft of fresh water. The block displaces 300 l/11cf o

• a. 291.26 l/10.32 cf

• b. 318 l/11.26 cf

• c. 282.5 l/10 cf

• d. 300 l/10.63 cf

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always found it depended on the trip. There'd be a keen diver in the AOW course, or Rescue, that were trying to decide if they wanted to sign up as a DM candidate. If you could talk them through some of the theory they were going to learn, demonstrate that the DM is not just a slave lugging and filling tanks and swimming along at the back of the group. If you grasp the theory in your DM training, the IDC and IE tests are a snap and you could focus on the lessons.
Yes I can see that. I was wrongly thinking of just my experiences 4 years assisting with OW courses. I can easily see how someone on an AOW or Rescue course may ask advanced questions. And possibly on charters if you did that job. Like a 12th grade trumpet player asking stuff about majoring in music.

Storker-- I agree with you also, and see your example. Can't recall exactly, but I'm pretty sure the "whys" of Boyle's Law is explained in the PADI OW course. But that doesn't mean a student won't ask why anyway. Maybe the student skimmed over that part in the e learning. I just don't recall ever hearing a student ask an instructor or myself during my time assisting.
Should add that I rarely attended the classroom e learning review, so it's possible some advanced questions happened there. I do recall one question requiring the instructor to go over tables, but that's not advanced theory.

After thinking a bit more about this I'm thinking:
There are different levels of "advanced" knowledge. I will admit that such things as the ability to describe Boyle's law is one example of knowledge a DM should know to explain to an advanced student. Another example I can think of may be why a tank now reads a higher psi after being in the sun for a while.
Perhaps some info. we don't need is again, that formula for raising that 100 pound outboard that displaces ____ salt water. Salt water weighs 64 lbs. per square foot.... etc.
Apparently PADI removed some of the "really advanced" stuff from the DM course 10 years ago and put it in the IDC. I don't know exactly which stuff, but it would seem PADI had the same basic idea that I had....?
I did that free SSI Science of Diving online course, which I think is aptly titled. A review of the old PADI DM course with maybe a thing or two added. Not sure how much of that info. that I would've needed to assist with OW courses.

Back
Top Bottom