Quiz - Visual Inspection Procedure - True/False 1

Question 1: Air released from a cylinder is harmless.

• True

• False

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Normally, I'd feel pretty good about being in the 15% of the people who got this right.

But when the 85% contains so many people with vastly more knowledge and experience than I have, I'm not so sure.

I'm more impressed at the discrepancy between the poll results and the comments.

Funny, my thought was completely the opposite.

If this question is targeted to tank operators, the idea that a customer would bring in a pressurized tank for inspection seems normal, and if they're trying to be efficient, cranking that value open all the way seems like it'd be almost normal. To have in the training (and then in the test based on that training) a note of "hey, even though the tank is full of benign air, the air coming out is a safety hazard" seems far more than reasonable; hell, I'd even consider it necessary.
I agree the condition of compresses is what makes any compressed tank or vessel hazmat.

"Air being released from a cylinder is harmless." Question fixed.

I agree the condition of compresses is what makes any compressed tank or vessel hazmat.
That's usually due to a catastrophic rupturing issue though and not concern over embolism during a controlled release.

That's usually due to a catastrophic rupturing issue though and not concern over embolism during a controlled release.
the comment was not made for that purpose. only that any tank with compressed gas is considered hazmat. Even if the contents is air the PSI it is under is the item of hazardous material. IN the event of a release controlled or not if you put your hand in its path and it penetrated your skin the penetration was the result of not the gas but the pressure it was under. As result any release of anything under pressure is a release of hazmat material. Much of the regs dealing with transport of tanks is because of the hazmat factor.

"Air being released from a cylinder is harmless." Question fixed.
This is a completely different question than what started this thread.

And 6 pages, 55 posts later, we still have people adding stuff to the question, i.e., overthinking it.

Air is air. If it's harmful, we are all in deep doodoo.....

If you are carrying a bunch of lithium metal, air would be a problem. What a weird question without any context.

This is a completely different question than what started this thread.

And 6 pages, 55 posts later, we still have people adding stuff to the question, i.e., overthinking it.

Air is air. If it's harmful, we are all in deep doodoo.....
Let me ovethink a bit then ...

Could they be mentioning bad fills ?

It's a bit related to quizzes, but usually these types of questions often imply that you have to reply something that requires overthinking.

i.e. I think if you were to take all the scuba questions in a true/false setting, if you were to choose the more careful answer, I think you'd be more than 50% right. In my limited experience of scuba quizzes, "all of these are correct" is more often than 1/(# of choices) right as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom