R.I.P. Bob Ling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CarlGH

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I found out about Bob's death a week or so ago. I was very choked up about it because Bob and I have never lost touch throughout the years. I tried writing about it several times but I just never had the heart to sit down and write this before. Fortunately for Bob, he died at his home in Chatanooga, TN at the ripe of age of 72. Ok, we all hope to last longer than that but at least his life wasn't unexpectedly cut short due to diving.

He was a good friend - a very good friend - even if he was a bit rough at times. He was a Professor at Clemson University in the Math Department and was very accomplished at his chosen profession. It was this training in combination with his scuba experience that made him uniquely qualified to take part in the legal case against UWatec and their dive computers.

I took part in many conversations with him not only on rec.scuba but on scuba-l - the scuba mailing list that existed a while back. I believe it is still archived somewhere as are many of the early internet mailing lists. I didn't always agree with him and I knew that sometimes I just had to stop because he would never let go of an argument - that was just the way he was.

He told me a while back that his diving career was coming to a close and just earlier this year he told me that he probably wouldn't be diving again. I felt sad when he said that. I never dove with Bob, but he hosted our family once in Cozumel when we arrived and our room wasn't ready at our resort yet. I don't remember how that happened - my wife always makes the reservations, but it happened. Anyhow, we spent the night in his room at the Bahia Suites in "The Penthouse" (as he referred to it).

Back in April or May he sent out an email to many of his close friends saying he was getting rid of some gear and asking if anyone wanted any. I told him that whatever he was asking, just let me know. He was actually GIVING it away so I told him I would take what anyone else would not. Lo and behold, he sent me a scubapro regulator (a bit old, but scubapro never goes bad), and two EDGE computers (the BIG BRICKS) - one of which is museum quality. If I can find a museum that would take it I MIGHT consider donating it.

Anyhow, I just wanted to post this and say... "Good bye Bob - I will always consider you to be one of my friends"...

Carl Heinzl

Really sorry for your friend loss.May his soul rest in heavens and may his family bear this loss with full patience..!!

Back
Top Bottom