R Weezle's worth it..Burrr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my frantic quest for something which would allow me to stay in the water long enough to use up a tank, I tried a Weezle. It was by far and away the warmest thing I've tried. I had one dive where I thought I was wrapped in an electric blanket.

However, the Weezle achieves its insulation with loft, which means it traps a lot of air. You need more weight, and you need to be extremely diligent about staying ahead of the need to vent the drysuit in order to control your buoyancy. I was a new diver, and the challenges of the Weezle were beyond me. The instructor who lent it to me told me she would have to pause and go completely vertical at intervals in her ascents to allow the air to percolate up to the exhaust valve. It was more than I could handle.

I know Doc Intrepid dives a Weezle and loves it, and he is not alone. They are REALLY warm, and reasonably priced. Just be forewarned that they are a buoyancy challenge.

I've got the Weezle NATO suit, and it is soooooooo comfy and warm compared to any of the other drysuit underwear suits I have that it is hard to believe! :D

I just got an Extreme+. (I do long dives 1-3 hours and I get cold easy) and so far so good. But you do have to keep a fair amount of air in them.

I have a pair of their socks and I love 'em! I wish I could afford the underwear.

I"m curious what you guys are comparing the weezle to. Sitting here in this computer chair its difficult for me to grasp any sort of comparison of what a Weezle suit is like compared to other popular undies out there. For example, I'm running a Powerstretch 300 suit, but I'm not sure how it stacks up to a Weezle.

TSandM:
In my frantic quest for something which would allow me to stay in the water long enough to use up a tank, I tried a Weezle. It was by far and away the warmest thing I've tried. I had one dive where I thought I was wrapped in an electric blanket.
There's (still) no free lunch. :cool:

The warmth comes from the layer of air that the underwear traps between you and the drysuit, so the warmest thing you can wear is whatever traps the most air.

This unfortunately translates into "bulky", which becomes "buoyant" which becomes "need more lead".

I do like my Weezle, though!

Terry

TSand M,
Have you tried the Diving Concepts 200 gram thinsulate Extreme
jumpsuit undersuit? I've tried on various DUI undie suits in shops and felt that the D.C. undies were the most flexible and "un-noticeable" under the CF200 and D.C. Neo Z I tried on at the same time. The stretch to reach back over my shoulder for a valve check was easiest in this undersuit as well. I figured you've probably tried one already but just in case...thought I'd ask.

I'm still a beginning diver with work left to do on buoyancy and air venting from my suit, but I've had minimal venting issues with this undersuit. I do think it's overpriced but so far I've liked this undersuit the best. I get overheated fairly easily and have about 20 lbs. of extrra "natural insulation" but the 200 gram has kept me warm to 60' before feeling only a bit of a chill. If others chill more easily I think their vest would be a perfect additon.

By the way, I'm getting near to the point of following your buy a Drysuit sooner than later (renting cost) advice. I hope to lose more weight so I'll take that into consideration with a stock suit size. I was hoping to lose more weight first but I think the economic factor over time is going to "force" the issue sooner!

I own the DC 200g thinsulate non-stretch jumpsuit, and the 200g vest to go over it. I am absolutely delighted with both. The combination is not quite as warm as the Weezle was (it really did feel like being under a blanket) but it's warm enough to keep me in the water an hour (and adding dry gloves helped, too). Best of all, I've had several major suit leaks which have absolutely soaked my undergarments, and I was able to stay safely and reasonably comfortably warm until I was able to get out of the water. I'm a DC fan. Probably about to buy one of their drysuits, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom