rain-x as a mask defog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone tried to use an auto windshield water repelant such as rainx to prevent mask fog? I know it repels rain so good you don't need your wipers. It would seem to me that it would make any moisture bead up and not fog. It may be too toxic to get that close to your eyes though.

Steve

SteveC:
Has anyone tried to use an auto windshield water repelant such as rainx to prevent mask fog? I know it repels rain so good you don't need your wipers. It would seem to me that it would make any moisture bead up and not fog. It may be too toxic to get that close to your eyes though.

Steve

not sure it would work to well for a few reasons.

1>That appley smell would get on your nerves
2>it might make you eyes water
3>it might cause deterioration of the mask
4>it works on RAIN. I've been in light mist where it did nothing. If the water droplets don't get big enough they just hang on the glass millions of them....its even worse than without

stick with commercial stuff or the old spit in the mask thing (although the last one hasn;t worked for me all that well.)

SteveC:
Steve
Also the reason we don't use it on camera ports is that it etches them slightly and can discolor. Not sure what effect it would have on your glass mask though. Might work if you don't like having water drops on the outside on the surface.

SteveC:

Steve

Haven't tried it (don't plan on it either) but I don't think it's a good idea. Check out the Health Effects section of the product info for Rain-X anti fog on the National Institute of Health's website.

Health Effect Information
Eye Contact: Avoid eye contact. This product has not been tested for acute eye hazards. May be irritating to the eyes upon direct contact. Exposure to high concentrations of vapors may be irritating to the eyes. These effects are transient, and complete recovery follows.

I used to sell a competing product for commerical applications, so I know a little about this.

Rain-X is a silicon product that will not harm your mask glass or rubber. In a nutshell, on a car, Rain-X forces the water form drops by increasing the surfacing tension of the water. Once these drops (or bubbles as they almost become) become large enough, the wind catches them and blows/rolls them off your windshield.

This will not work in an anti-fog application because not enough water vapor is present in the mask to make the drops form and there is no wind to blow it off the mask. In fact this will be counter-productive as it will make any condensation form tiny beads which is what makes the mask "fog" and distorts your vision.

What you actually want is a product that does the opposite and decreases, or breaks, the surface tension of the water so that it sheets in a flat surface across the entire mask. This way you get clear vision.

As an analogy, you get great vision through your clear, flat glass pane in your mask. However, think of privacy glass in a front door or a house or shower enclosure. This glass is ridged or molded in a decorative way so that the surface is not flat. The dimpled surface causes the light to refract so that you cannot see through it well. Rain-X would, in effect, create these dimples.

My recommendation, stick with spit, or any readily available anti-fog.

Don

Rather than RainX, I’d use the same product you can use on housing port lenses, RVR Rain Repellant. While the MSDS does claim overexposure to will result in slight eye irritation it is a water based silicone emulsion so you won’t have the petroleum products to irritate the eyes or damage your dive gear.

http://www.vortexaviation.com/rvr.html

It's not a big problem. buy a commercial antifog or get some Johnson's baby shampool

People always want to complicate things.

Just dive!!!!

Try letting some water stay in your mask, then just tilt your head around and fog disappears.
KISS(Keep It Simple Stupid)This applies to most everything(See DIR for how this relates. Simplicity =Functional=Lowered failure rate=Thing of beauty)
This also cuts down on mask volume slightly(I dive a large volume mask"Dacor Persuit")

Back
Top Bottom