Rain?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very surprised the port was not closed today but it was much less windy further south. I've seen it closed for a lot less. We did Colombia Deep and Paso de Cedral with Aldora this morning. Good dives as usual.

82 minutes at Colomia Deep. Max depth: 105fsw Water temp: 79f. Black tip reef, shark eagle rays, turtles and all the other usual suspects.

102 minutes at Paso de Cedral :) Max depth: 98fsw Water temp: 80f Lost count of turtles, parrotfish and a very friendly nurse shark.

Very surprised the port was not closed today but it was much less windy further south. I've seen it closed for a lot less. We did Colombia Deep and Paso de Cedral with Aldora this morning. Good dives as usual.

82 minutes at Colomia Deep. Max depth: 105fsw Water temp: 79f. Black tip reef, shark eagle rays, turtles and all the other usual suspects.

102 minutes at Paso de Cedral :) Max depth: 98fsw Water temp: 80f Lost count of turtles, parrotfish and a very friendly nurse shark.

Because the wind was out of the NE - which usually does not close the port unless it's REALLy strong - with a NE wind, the further south you go the better the conditions

No offence to cruisers but I just can't see myself diving with a dive op that has cruisers on a regular basis. Not that I equate cruisers with bad diving skills (but they generally do have a good appetite) but I do equate cruisers with first dive of their trip divers and all the issues and restrictions for the dive op that come with that. No thanks.

I am a beginner so most (but not all) of the cruisers were better than me (though I did get a compliment on my diving at the end of the trip). But I purposefully picked an op that said I could stay above 70 all week. our worst cruiser was actually a very competent diver just a nightmare for the DM. Going into caves at 80 ft she couldn't see him while the rest of us waited for someone to descend from like 30, leading a buddy who wasn't very good to 100 ft (DM had to go grab him, he had no idea his depth) and just being a terrible group diver. Plus breaking all the boat rules.

I definetly noticed I got more leeway as the week went on. Day 1 she checked my gauges for me, day 3 she didn't even ask me anymore.

---------- Post added December 16th, 2013 at 08:00 PM ----------

Oh, and it is pouring again so forecast was definetly right. Guy at dinner was complaining about "land of sun" or something, not sure how he thinks the plants stay so green.

Good luck with that. You can't swing a dead lionfish without hitting a cruiser. Of course I get if you go with the resort boats there might be less.

No resort boats. I would rather go snorkelling than diving on a resort boat based on past experience. There are options that don't include regular cruisers or being herded like cattle. If there wasn't I would not dive Cozumel.

---------- Post added December 16th, 2013 at 10:30 PM ----------

I am a beginner so most (but not all) of the cruisers were better than me (though I did get a compliment on my diving at the end of the trip). But I purposefully picked an op that said I could stay above 70 all week. our worst cruiser was actually a very competent diver just a nightmare for the DM. Going into caves at 80 ft she couldn't see him while the rest of us waited for someone to descend from like 30, leading a buddy who wasn't very good to 100 ft (DM had to go grab him, he had no idea his depth) and just being a terrible group diver. Plus breaking all the boat rules.

I definetly noticed I got more leeway as the week went on. Day 1 she checked my gauges for me, day 3 she didn't even ask me anymore.

---------- Post added December 16th, 2013 at 08:00 PM ----------

Oh, and it is pouring again so forecast was definetly right. Guy at dinner was complaining about "land of sun" or something, not sure how he thinks the plants stay so green.

Glad to hear you are having a good trip!
Sounds like you are improving with every dive. Keep improving your buoyancy and everything else will fall in place. Have fun and be safe.

Seriously? I can't EVER recall diving with cruisers at LU. Not to say he doesn't get the odd one but when you leave at 7 am-ish, it probably doesn't work well for most ships.

You can't swing a dead lionfish without hitting a cruiser. Of course I get if you go with the resort boats there might be less.

Seriously? I can't EVER recall diving with cruisers at LU. Not to say he doesn't get the odd one but when you leave at 7 am-ish, it probably doesn't work well for most ships.

7 am????? The one in the morning????? Ugg.

I am glad for a 9 am departure when we are waiting for a cruiser to dock. But I guess that is probably true with the timing eliminating alot of them.

Still, despite them being pod people, some of them are very nice and most are just fine in the water. I don't mind diving with them; they don't cramp my style.

Say what? Isn't there some sort of law that prevents 7am dive trips in Coz? Or a mercy rule?

Language evolves. Our English is very different from the English spoken in Shakespeare's time, for instance. Some words have disappeared from the modern lexicon, some have evolved (like decimate), and plenty of new words have been added, enough so that Shakespeare would have just as hard a time understanding modern English speakers as we have understanding him.

I know, language is like Wikipedia: anyone can change it. Hence, I will refer to a herd of octopus. Ooo, ooo, or better yet, a crawl of octopus. Makes as much sense as a murder of crows. :D

I know, language is like Wikipedia: anyone can change it. Hence, I will refer to a herd of octopus. Ooo, ooo, or better yet, a crawl of octopus. Makes as much sense as a murder of crows. :D

I submit to you a murder of crows is perhaps the most fitting of all those groupings, it goes REALLY well.

And I like the 'crawl'. That isn't too bad. Of course you might be trying to hard using a new group name and the singular for plural. Maybe use the most accepted: a crawl of octopuses?

I think I will start using the more pretentious: a crawl of octopodes.

First one to get them saying it in Little Rock wins?

Well, I DID say 7 ISH. Depending on other divers that can be as late as 7:40 for me. And remember, I am in town, so by the time Jeremy picks me up, then picks up divers all along the way south, it is usually around 8 or 8:30 that we hit the water, depending on how many hotels we hit along the way and how prompt the other divers are. He does like to get an early start to adjust for longer bottom times and longer SI. I am generally the last one home, sometime between 1 and 2. If we didn't start until cruisers were ready, it would be getting dark by the time I got home!
Say what? Isn't there some sort of law that prevents 7am dive trips in Coz? Or a mercy rule?

Back
Top Bottom