raja ampat entrance fee increase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chingonazos

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello

Just wanted to share some information for those planing to dive in Raja Ampat. Starting July 1st 2012 the price for the entrace fee has increased from 500,000 IDR (USD$55) to 1,000,000 IDR (USD$100). It is a big increase. I heard there could be a grace period for implementing it, until next year, but its not official. The official is July 1st.

regards

$55 is already a big fee I am wondering what the money is being used for and the reason why to increase with a 100%

Well.... seeing as we're talking about Indo, I'm sure it'll go towards protecting the area from bad fishing practices etc.

You mean going into the pockets of the local officials, don't you ?

That's a couple or three weeks pay for most of the locals

John N

Hello,

yes, its a big increase, and to my opinion will not benefit the local small business that are fast sprouting. for the liveabourd divers that have money it will probably not matter too much (thats what the officals told me in the tourism department where you buy the tags) and the price has not been increased since 2007 (i was told). for the backpackers and independent travelers will probably deter them from visiting this region. lets see...
banner_02.jpg

Nearly double the fee ? Surely for corruption...if not already... money doesnt 'unbomb' the reefs or 'unfin' the sharks that Raja has already lost.

No idea if the fee is the cause, but having just done a trip between Raj and Lembeh I have to say that the reefs inside the reserve are significantly healthier than the reefs outside the reserve. Somebody is doing something right. Also it does seem that the sharks may (I repeat may) be starting a bit of a comeback. In this last trip we saw a number of juvenile sharks and a few adults. In previous trips not so much.

If the fee helps I will gladly pay it.

mathauck0814. When you're spending more than $5kUS (p/p) what's another $50?[/QUOTE:
Wish i could say that and for sure Raja,resorts/liveaboards have become very expensive and thats before all your flights from either US/UK Lots of big profits being made,very little going back into area.Thats a fact.As for permit,it is a large increase and think whats another $50 is the not right way to think,just because you can splash the cash and the fact the area you are going $50 is a lot of cash for a local.I would be wanting to know for sure where the money is also going.But when officials see the huge amount money divers are spending on their visits like in in thread #5 and the official says for the liveabourd divers that have money it will probably not matter too much (thats what the officals told me in the tourism department where you buy the tags) what more can i say.

$50 is a huge amount of money for some.I would prefer to have the $50 to use to treat villages with pens/books,sweets,treats and not think whats another $50

Huge amounts of profits being made in this area and lots of money being taken in permits fees already,so between both there is no reason why the area should not be well looked after.

Im happy to pay any money for conservation efforts, Im in praise of however community patrols are made - the recent Kawe arresting fishermen from 7 finning vessels with shark and mantaray carcasses. Even though I did read somewhere that these fishermen were released. (unless anyone can point out what really happened ie what fines they paid/were they detained) Its possible they were released with a slap on the wrist..perhaps to continue coming back on another boat to keep finning until they are caught again?

Im all for marine no take zones..and policing them. What Im sceptical about is the concern of others here- how much $ of what is paid in new fees actually go to the 'actual' conservation process and how much of the $ actually doesnt. How much of this $ is filtered through before it reaches the actual individuals who are stakeholders in this 'scheme'. Anyone who has been to Indo can appreciate this skepticism..$100 per park fee entrance x the total number of divers going to RA transferred into rupiah is a huge cash cow to exploit per annum. When the cash cow becomes this big and the stakes are higher history has shown some precedents which are more on the negative in consequence.. I for one would rather a positive consequence and if it results in less bombed reefs and less shark finned the better..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom