Raja Ampat, Komodo, Wakatobi, or elsewhere?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan T. sorry, but that is not correct. Half breed was mainly used for people who had mixed native American and European parents. For me "double breed" sounds as stupid but nicer.
For Indo see definition above.

Got it. Thanks!

Back to the topic. If OP decides to go to Raja Ampat, especially to the North side, don't miss to hike up on top of Wayag to see this:

IMG_6698.JPG

Or Penemu in West Central Raja Ampat

IMG_1343.JPG

Thanks Dan! We got a little sidetracked there....We did choose RA! We decided to do an 11 night live-aboard on the Samambaia boat. It is across North RA, so I will make sure to find those spots!

Have fun in northern RA, but take care of your ears. Diving 3-4x/day has a cumulative effect and it's takes its toll. In particular for rapid descents in currents.

Have fun in northern RA, but take care of your ears. Diving 3-4x/day has a cumulative effect and it's takes its toll. In particular for rapid descents in currents.

My rule of thumb is to equalize your ears once for every 1m you descend, regardless whether you feel the pressure on your ear drums or not. I made 40 dives in 12-day trip to Raja Ampat with no ear problem (knock on wood).

My comment was certainly off topic. It's been my experience that many dives experience ear issues on 10+ day LoB trip.

Fair enough.

What I have seen people experience is ear infections. What I have experienced is my ears getting MUCH more amenable for quick descents.

Any skin breaks need to be carefully tended to in the tropics, FAR more so than in temperate zones.

- Bill

I am a walking testament to tropical infections from minor skin abrasions. My ears are fine, but I still worry about rapid negative descents or repeated CESA's while teaching.

Bill:

I cannot tell if your ears are getting infected or not, but if they are....

When I was teaching/working in the Caribbean every summer I found myself plagued with ear infections. It truly sucked. These two things made all the difference for me.

1. An ENT made me quit cleaning my ears with swabs. In fact, he said he preaches against q-tips in the same manner a cardiologist preaches against cigarettes. To keep clean use a littkle soap on your index finger and be done with it. Some ear wax buildup is your friend.

2. I started using "Ear Beer" at the end of every dive day. Mix up a 1:1 solution of 70 % rubbing alcohol (easily found in Indonesia) and white vinegar. Lay down in bed, fill you ear canal, let it marinade for a minute or two and do not rinse afterward. Ear beer will not cure an infection but is great preventative

Since doing this I have not had an ear infection in ten plus years. I hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom