Raja Ampat - Liveaboard or Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too would spend my shore time in Bali. However, Bali is significantly different culturally than the rest of Indonesia. Predominantly Hindi while the rest is predominantly Muslim.

Bali is very much set up to deliver a “tourist” experience. The rest of Indonesia not so much, you will have to work at finding accommodation and things to do. Two completely different cultural experiences.

RA is a large region and a liveaboard (10 days or more) will give you a taste of all of them. While a resort will give you a more in depth look at a small portion. Neither is better, just different. For my fist trip I would do a liveaboard. The diving is pretty much the same no matter which liveaboard you do. It is the amenities that are different. Quality of food, guide to guest ratio, size of room etc. I have been on a half a dozen and would do any one of them again. Have only done one resort in RA, Papua Paradise, and would go back.

Poster above summed it up, if you think it'll be your only trip to R4 maybe a LoB is worthwhile, on the other hand I still think resort diving is better for the appropriate selection and timing for local spots since there can be loads of divers sometimes and you may easily skip/choose the sites according to the number of boats around, as there is no fixed itinerary.

While your choice of LoB might be limited by the spaces available for 2024, here are humpteen dive resorts open now so it might be difficult to select an option, some ideas :
- I wouldn't recommend Raja Ampat Dive Lodge anymore, as much as I appreciated it in the past (lesser divers) feedback from one of my friends last year was that it has really gone down.
- Papua Explorers is a solid dive resort turkish owned, hosting underwater photography workshops, you shouldn't be dissapointed .
- Although they were the original Max Ammer's resorts I find Sorido much too expensive while it's americans favorite resort, its sister Kri Eco is a scam they won't operate boatdives on saturdays
- Raja4divers is one of the best loved resorts in terms of service (Swiss management).
- I'm going soon to Cove Eco resort, french owned and next to R4D, which was highly recommended to me by one of my friends. Completely under the radar but interesting location in the NW part of Dampier.
- Misool Eco Resort is the only one far off South of Raja Ampat, expensive : sell a kidney first.
- Not sure Papua Paradise would be typical of R4 diving : located south close to Batanta where dives are more macro than the usual fare.

As for cultural or landtrips, you can already do some bird of paradise trips (usually on Batanta) while you're there but don't expect much from mainland Sorong.
If you want to take a few days and go sightseeing, depending on the time of the year , Bali is an option like many posters said though not very practical with flights, You'll have to take 2 different flights to get there.
I can give you another landtrip idea if you have 3-4 days left : you may fly to Makassar/South Sulawesi and get a tourdriver to Rantepao to see the most interesting and unique Torajan culture in Indonesia.
Very friendly people who will greet you in their villages, skilful woodden houses architects, pretty rice fields treks in the mountainside, the only problem might be the weather depending on the month of you visit it can be rainy up there, takes more than a half day drive (5-6h) to get to Rantepao from Makassar .

I would just like to add a positive review for Raja Ampat Biodiversity Eco Resort. I don’t see a lot online about them and we had a wonderful 2 week stay there. It is in a great location in the heart of the Dampier Strait and it is a great small resort with a beautiful private beach that is sometimes visited by the resident dugong. Waking up to the waves lapping at the water and baby black tip sharks feeding every morning was just splendid. Watching dolphins swim by each night at sundown while sipping dragonfruit cocktails was hard to beat. Some things that just aren’t the same on a liveaboard. The local guides new the sites like the back of their hands and we rarely so any other boats. After previously doing a liveaboard in the area i very much enjoyed staying at the resort. I was hesitant to do so but this allowed my non diving girlfriend an opportunity to snorkel some amazing sites in RA and had a better experience snorkeling with mantas than we did diving below. One nice thing about staying at a resort was the opportunity to see so many great things on land like being visited by a cuscus at dinner and all sorts of amazing bird life such as two different birds of paradise.

With that said, i will be going back on a the White Manta in Jan 24 to visit Triton Bay and Fakfak haha. You just can’t go wrong with the diving in that area. I can’t wait to bet back there.

@Luko

"- Although they were the original Max Ammer's resorts I find Sorido much too expensive while it's americans favorite resort, its sister Kri Eco is a scam they won't operate boatdives on saturdays"

Max is a 7th Day Adventist, as are many of the staff that work at either Sorido Bay or Kri Eco Resort. The fact they don't operate the dive boats on Saturdays (the day of the week most of the staff get a day off), is well documented, on their website, and part of information shared with each guest as part of the booking process. We dove the house reef twice on the Saturday during our most recent stay - so with planning this day off had virtually no impact on us (the kitchen service isn't limited, diving the house reef is available, etc).

How can this be a "scam" if you knew this before booking? Conversely, how could you not know this before arriving if you are so well informed on everything?

Last - "it's americans favorite resort" - during our 10 day stay we were the only Americans. The other 10 people were all Europeans or South Africans. They did mention they don't get a lot of Asian divers there, but rather mostly European or North American guests.

we stayed at waisai diving village, and i didnt like it. the boss, Peter, is a rip off
after a week there we stayed 2 week on the Seahorse safari.
absolutly stunning. nice boat, top crew, food and service
tour sorong to sorong

Max is a 7th Day Adventist, as are many of the staff that work at either Sorido Bay or Kri Eco Resort. The fact they don't operate the dive boats on Saturdays (the day of the week most of the staff get a day off), is well documented, on their website, and part of information shared with each guest as part of the booking process. We dove the house reef twice on the Saturday during our most recent stay - so with planning this day off had virtually no impact on us (the kitchen service isn't limited, diving the house reef is available, etc).
My point is that when you are going on holidays to a resort it's not like you're going to a church, the owner beliefs are not supposed to impact on your vacation time. I would understand that if you were in a family homestay with very limited staff but not at this price level (one of the most expensive around) for a fully equipped resort catering to a well-off crowd.
You are paying your own vacations not the owners' holidays nor for a religious conference. (As a side note, all of Max Ammer's resorts reps are very active at sales shows in Europe on saturdays. There is no religious off day for selling or advertizing :) . )
I guess all the staff in various resorts of Raja Ampat have their own beliefs the managers will cope with. That's called staff scheduling, there are also lots of 7th day adventists in Vanuatu for instance, never heard about a hotel doing nothing that day.

Why not then fast and avoid drinking water in Ramadan daytime when you're diving Indonesia, a mostly muslim country? (FYI that's what I experienced diving in Weh 10 years ago, you need to duck in the diveboats so that people don't notice you're drinking water.... been to Weh once, never been back, no thanks. You either want to welcome tourists or spend your personal time with your own stuff. Can't do both.)

- The house reef (right off the dock) is worth a dive or two.
Your own words... "a dive or two"... After all you "only" pay more than 400€/day per person in a dive package, in the end you spend one day on the housereef, the same housereef that you can dive everyday as a 3rd or 4th dive... "worth a dive or two" (sic.) What a great value for that day.
If you enjoy Raja ampat only diving the house reef, no problem it's your choice and your bucks... while all other resorts around will get you pay at most and for the more expensive 10%-20% less per day on average to get unlimited diving and boat trips everyday saturday included, not limited to housereef diving.

How can this be a "scam" if you knew this before booking? Conversely, how could you not know this before arriving if you are so well informed on everything?
I am not that infatuated as "some" to always be speaking about myself, I know it might be hard to conceptualize for some not to talk about theirselves.
Believe it or not- the FACT is I had feedbacks from some of my friends/people I spoke to who were surprized they were limited for diving on saturdays.
For some others who discovered that it was a no go decision at booking time.

You see, the purpose of being on a board is sharing information useful for people who -like the OP- are asking for, so pls do have the courtesy to provide the max useful information like for instance having limited dives one day of your stay, not just brag about how the holiday was so great ...

Add on top that it's only been quite recently, maybe 5-6 years that the renewed bungalows at Kri Resort the sister resort were equipped with full inhouse bathrooms not shared bathrooms outside the bungalow, at the price level it was sold (same price level as RADL for instance with full equipped AC bungalows) I still think it's not a good Q/P ratio and that there are better options.

That's where in my opinion the "scam" is with Papua Diving resorts : too much marketing and too expensive compared to other options once you read all the lines of the quote.
Personally I like to go beyond the kool aid of marketing...

Last - "it's americans favorite resort" - during our 10 day stay we were the only Americans. The other 10 people were all Europeans or South Africans.
Being favorite resort to X type of customers doesn't mean customers are exclusively X type.

European divers will favor Papua Explorers, Agusta for italians, Raja4divers for upmarket customers or lesser known resorts (Biodiversity, Cove, etc.). Which doesn't mean they don't go to Sorido as once again Papua Diving (Max Ammer's operation) is very agressive on the marketing side, but they aren't overrepresented like americans are in this resort. Not sure the South African market is really a segment on his own for Indonesia.

FWIW : on the 5 last american divers I've been speaking to on various trips to Indo or Philippines and who have been to R4, they only mentioned staying at either Sorido or MER.
On the other hand, say the 10 last european divers I have been speaking to and who have been to R4, only 2 I know have been selecting Kri, I only remember one at Sorido. We can live without aircon :D

Sorindo Bay Resort offers Sunday-Sunday package. So, if you fly home on Sunday with 8 am flight to Jakarta, then you won’t dive on Saturday anyway. You can do a bird watching like in Mansuar island on Saturday. Get your gears wash & dry on that day too.

if you fly home on Sunday with 8 am flight to Jakarta, then you won’t dive on Saturday anyway.
How can you fly at 8 AM when you leave a Dampier strait resort on the same day?
Transfer at 3 AM in the morning ? :D

Most of the resorts in R4 advise not booking a flight earlier than 11AM. Cove Eco resort which is west of Dampier recommands booking flights after 2 PM.
Hence you can easily tuck two morning boats dives in (even a third if you haven't been on deco. NoFly will be 18h. )

How can you fly at 8 AM when you leave a Dampier strait resort on the same day?
Transfer at 3 AM in the morning ? :D

Most of the resorts in R4 advise not booking a flight earlier than 11AM. Cove Eco resort which is west of Dampier recommands booking flights after 2 PM.
Hence you can easily tuck two morning boats dives in (even a third if you haven't been on deco. NoFly will be 18h. )

If you have an early morning departure they can/will arrange transfers in the afternoon the day before (if you would like). Makes it easy to catch the morning flight to Jakarta.

They are also building their own transfer boat - which will allow for more flexibility on timing, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom