Raja Ampat (Misool Eco Resort) in June? vs. Bali?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

image.jpeg
BTW My DM one time waved at me & pointed to xxx in Tulamben. My regulator almost fell out of my mouth when I saw what it was, a Raja Ampat Pygmy seahorse like you see in the picture above. I saw one in MER. So, it shouldn't be called Raja Ampat Pygmy Seahorse if you can also find it in Tulamben.

Last edited:
Is that Pygmy endangered? Who want to see a 2mm critter in aquarium anyway.

I noticed the Harlequin shrimps that used to be in Seraya were no longer there. I suspect some of those bad guys fished them out. I'm careful not to post the location of the ones I saw in Raja Ampat though.

Hey @Dan_T be careful when stating exact location of critters, especially on the internet. It might not be there when you return. They are encouraging people to turn off their gps etc. when they shoot pics as well in Africa and other places where endangered critters live.

I had an experience in Lembeh that reinforces this. I posted about seeing a Hairy and Shaggy frog fish pair and 2 days later they were gone, missing no where to be found. We looked and looked to no avail. My hunch is someone read the post put in the order and they were easily picked up and sent to some collectors aquarium. Another instance I posted about some absolutely HUGE fish on a dive site in the Caribean and the next year you could find them in photos on a guides wall with the grinning spearfishers holding them. People will do anything for $$$.

Brown Marbled Grouper.JPG
M0018131.JPG

I took those pictures above in USS Liberty wreck. So, Tulamben is not only good for Macro. You just need to find the right DM who knows where and when to find them.

What a lively discussion! I adore all of you! And I love how attached you all are to your favorite places, and how you want to see these creatures and conserve them too!!

My ideal would be to go to MER before or after Komodo, but in looking at flights it seems very very complicated. So Bali it is!! I am loving the specific Bali recommendations. Keep em coming! Dive shops? Good guides? (I need a guide... I'm not great at seeing tiny things!). How do people get around Bali? Do you have to rent a car?

In Tulamben, I stay at Liberty Dive Resort, you will get your own private guide, so i get spoiled as its just me and my guide, I use Wayan, their other guides receive high marks also. They also let you make your own dive schedule, so no early morning dives if you don't want to. If you have specific critters your looking for tell your guide and they will take you to the site most applicable.

Don't even think of renting a car. The car services are affordable and keep you from killing yourself on the road. And you'll want to look at the beautiful scenery not worry about traffic.
There is also nice diving off Nusa Lembongan, which has Mola Mola in season, Manta at Manta Point, and drift diving over some nice reefs. You can stay on Lembongan or stay in Padang Bai and access it from there. And for topside activity Ubud is beautiful.

How long are you staying on Bali?

Wow Thanks Dirtfarmer!! The Komodo trip starts in early July so We'll probably stay on Bali for 7-9 days either before the Komodo trip, or 7-9 days after. Do you think I'd avoid more crowds by going in June, before Komodo? Car services?

Back
Top Bottom