Raja Ampat on the Samambaia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last I knew Sorong was in area with malaria so malaria meds recommended. I hadn't started my meds because of the malarone dreams issue (you have vivid dreams and it can impact your sleep). Got to the hotel and thought I was inside and reasonably away from the critters, but then I noticed the hallway windows did not have any screens, so had to kill a few of the buggers in my room. One bite could be the gift that keeps on giving. Not suggesting freak out but consider it

The first trip to Raja Ampat, back in 2010, I took malaria med. But not for the other later 4 trips (the latest one was last May). The malaria medicine itself is a poison if you take it too often. I'm not doing it in the upcoming trip in November either.

I'm not too worry about malaria in Sorong main city district, hotel, harbor area and in Raja Ampat. The bad ones are if you are touring the surrounding villages, jungle in remote mainland of Papua.

As long as you stay in the hotel, cover up & apply insect repellent (a spray type or wipe-on tissue) when you are outside (like waiting for the boat to pick you up at the Sorong harbor, then you would not have any problem with mosquito bites, much less with malaria / dengue carrying mosquitoe bites.

Just booked for liveaboard on Samambaia in Jan 2018! Really looking forward to it!
Hiya ChyLn
We did Komodo & Flores on Samambaia and loved it so much that already thinking about a 2019 trip on the boat (2019 already booked up)
The boat is fantastic; plenty of room for kitting up, cabins are spacious (not that we spent much time in the room)
You'll have a great trip onboard the Samambaia
Enjoy the bubbles
VKE

Finally getting the chance to post. We did the Nov. 27-Dec. 8 trip thru RA. It was absolutely fantastic. The boat is beautiful and spacious, the food is delicious, the crew is fantastic at all they do, and most importantly the dive guides know what they are doing. They how to dive each site, and they can certainly point out the critters.....You will all enjoy your time on the boat. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Thanks for that report. I ended up booking the entire boat for January of 2020. I enjoyed meeting them at DEMA and came away impressed with the owner and management team. Can’t wait but until then I’ll just keep reading the reports.

Thanks for that report. I ended up booking the entire boat for January of 2020. I enjoyed meeting them at DEMA and came away impressed with the owner and management team. Can’t wait but until then I’ll just keep reading the reports.
You will love love love Raja Ampat!

Really nice price point for a beautiful new boat. Don't cheat yourselves, any of you. Sign up for the longer trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom