Raja Ampat - Shakti

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frogfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am looking at a trip to RA in the near future, and am considering doing a cruise on Shakti - Haven't found any recent feedback on the operation, so was wondering if anyone would have any advice.
Cheers !

I took a trip on the Shakti on December '08 and had a great experience.
Dave who owns and runs the boat has tremendous amount of experience in Raja Ampat. He is one of the only operators who operate strictly in Raja Ampat year round and knows the best dives and the best times to dive them. He has been in the area for some 10 years now.
The Shakti is not the most luxurious boat you can find in Raja Ampat - 3 bathrooms/showers are shared amongst all the guests. But Dave's knowledge, professionalism and the service attitude of his crew makes up for any shortcomings in the luxury department.
I highly recommend it.

Hey there
I am also planning a trip and Shakti was definitely right up there on my short list. The experience he has in the waters of RA is definitely a selling point.

BUT my wife insisted that she did not want to share a bathroom with a bunch of people! For a short trip it would be ok but 12 days without your own bog was too much for her!! ha ha

Have a look at the Indo Siren from world wide dive and sail (WORLDWIDE DIVE AND SAIL). They are currently having a promotion (10% discount) for the Mandarin Siren but I managed to get the same discount for the Indo Siren (slightly cheaper than the Mandarin).

I did the sums and if you can get the 10% discount the Indo Siren actually works out cheaper than the Skakti and it seems a tad more luxurious (from looking at the websites). The Siren also offers you free nitrox, gear hire (except torch and dive comps), soft drinks and BEER!!!!
BUT the trip is one day shorter than the Shakti!

So there really are many many variables!!

The Putiraja is another boat that is in the same sort of price range (US $ 295/ night). Contact widya@papua-diving.com for info and quotes.

There really are a number of boats running around up there and trying to make a final decision is not easy. The lack of reviews for a number of the boats also really does not help!!

Hope I've helped.....
Alex

+1 for Putiraja. PM me if you want details on how the whole thing is run (still need to do a trip report...).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom