Raja - what to except with the currents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bearkeley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi - frequent Cozumel and was fine, but also had a bad experience at a pinnacle around St Kitts / Saba so a bit worried about currents at Raja (thinking of Calico Jack in February a Sorong/Soring trip)I now have better fins and a lot more dives since so confident enough to sit out a dive if needed, but also don't want to miss out on cool dives if I don't have to. Hence this post....here are the crazy things in my head....

- I believe most sites are not more than 100ft, so down currents aren't too big of a problem, right?
- I prefer drift dives over open water so if I have to abort and surface, I don't have to worry about getting slammed into rocks....but are the currents the type that could take you out to the deep blue, or are the sites rather protected by the islands?
- Just read the awesome (and scary) post on reef hooks....they recommend to bring hooks on regular dives....guessing use of it depends on the dive site..or is it because of a high probability of the conditions changing and its more of a safety thing?

Ok, last question....on average, do most sites have strong currents or is it truly a mix of none, average, strong?

Thanks!

Hi - frequent Cozumel and was fine, but also had a bad experience at a pinnacle around St Kitts / Saba so a bit worried about currents at Raja (thinking of Calico Jack in February a Sorong/Soring trip)I now have better fins and a lot more dives since so confident enough to sit out a dive if needed, but also don't want to miss out on cool dives if I don't have to. Hence this post....here are the crazy things in my head....

- I believe most sites are not more than 100ft, so down currents aren't too big of a problem, right? Right
- I prefer drift dives over open water so if I have to abort and surface, I don't have to worry about getting slammed into rocks....but are the currents the type that could take you out to the deep blue haven't seen one in 5 times diving there, or are the sites rather protected by the islands? many of them yes
- Just read the awesome (and scary) post on reef hooks....they recommend to bring hooks on regular dives....guessing use of it depends on the dive site..or is it because of a high probability of the conditions changing and its more of a safety thing? Mostly in the manta cleaning station for photography to free your hands off the rock, so you can float above the corals & take video or photo of the manta.

Ok, last question....on average, do most sites have strong currents or is it truly a mix of none, average, strong? Mix & not strong. The only scary place I've experience in 10 years of diving in Indonesia is the strong down current in Crystal Bay, Nusa Penida, Bali. I saw my bubbles going down to the abyss. Had I let go my hands off the rocks, I would have gone down with my bubbles. Raja Ampat & Komodo currents are nothing compare to this wicket down current in Crystal Bay.

Thanks!

See my answer in bold letters in your quotes

DanT - thank you! Helps ease my paranoia a lot! Makes sense re the reef hook with Mantas...did the Hawaii nite dive with Mantas and couldn't stay on the bottom despite all the extra weight each time they swam by!

Will definitely look into Raja then....any other tips on ops, etc that could be helpful would be appreciated! Thanks!

DanT - thank you! Helps ease my paranoia a lot! Makes sense re the reef hook with Mantas...did the Hawaii nite dive with Mantas and couldn't stay on the bottom despite all the extra weight each time they swam by!

Will definitely look into Raja then....any other tips on ops, etc that could be helpful would be appreciated! Thanks!

Often the current was pretty weak where I ended up putting a bit of air in my BCD to give some tension on the leash so I won't get unhooked & floating away.

La Galigo Liveaboard is pretty good. For less expensive one you can you can try Grand Komodo

Enjoy the trip!

Last edited:
Very much depends on the liveaboard.

Just as an example I have been on Boo Rock twice. Once with ripping current, the second time with a mild current. Found it much more interesting with a ripping current. The difference was the group of divers. The no current trip had a group that included some very inexperienced divers, the ripping current trip included only very experienced divers. The cruise director made the appropriate choice based on the skill set of the group. Have been on some dives that needed a reef hook that had nothing to do with Mantas. A couple of dives where you could be swept into the blue - but with divers that were quite capable of dealing with such conditions. The cruise director for that trip evaluated the skill level and put us in some really interesting sites at times when there was significant current but that would not be normal.

I can't recall any dives that were in a situation where a drift dive risked slamming into rocks.

In my experience the cruise directors know what they are doing and will either let you know that conditions are beyond your ability or simply not even do the dive. Be honest about your ability and concerns!

Most of the dives I have done in Raja were mild or no current dives. A significant number were current dives, but I can't recall any where I was concerned at all about safety. In Komodo a couple of dives were "interesting" and one dive on a trip between Raja and Lembeh where we were warned to end the dive before a certain point or risk a serious down current. A fun dive, but not one you would want to do by the sound of it.

It is Indonesia... there are currents everywhere which is why it is an amazing place to dive. There is a huge mix of strong and not strong currents. Just understand the more current you have the more marine life. There is always somebody refusing to dive in current and then complaining that they don't see any fish. Down currents are rare...

That being said, the worst down current I have been in was in Raja Ampat and I have been in a few. What is important is you need listen to your dive guides and briefings. When they say follow the guide and do not get ahead of them you need to listen and follow the guide. We have never needed nor have I seen people use a reef hook in Raja and we were told to absolutely not use them on the manta dives in Misool. We were told not to touch the reef period as per the Misool Eco Resort in their efforts to protect the amazing Manta experience they have developed and protected. We tend to avoid Manta Sandy but when I did do it way back when there was no current.

You will love it!!

My experience and suggestion essentially matches the opinions already expressed. To be clear, it's not like an inland river which always flows in the same direction at the same velocity. The exact same site can go from little current to raging current to little current all in the same day. That's why your dive guides are paid to know when to dive it and to read the water conditions and the tides, etc. The current also can be flowing basically imperceptably until it comes to a obstruction or constriction where it then speeds up due to putting the same volume through a smaller space. That's the pros and cons of using the terrain to hide from the current and pick where you cross the current. YOu read the fish. They point into the current. If they are pointed a different way and swimming like mad every few seconds, you know there is current trying to get around a little point for example. Most essential in a place you don't know yourself is to follow what the guide says in the briefing, know the basic site layout and stay in visual contact so you understand where to go, can see stuff they point out (some guides are great, some aren't) and can change plans if necessary because stuff happens. I also try to always stay upcurrent of my alternate air source (buddy) because you will never swim against a current with a half a breath. And ALWAYS bring your safety sausage and flashlights (2 small LED ones are all you need) regardless of time of day to be prepared in case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom