Ramstein

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USAF Diver

Reaction score
I just got notification that I am projected to PCS to Ramstein in November. Most people I've talked to seem to like it. Is there diving nearby? How far away is the Mediterranean?

Ramstein is about 30-45 minutes north of France and 1 1/2 hours from Luxemburg and Belgium. While it's fun in Europe, I'm afraid that you'll be land locked.

Well, I am not going to feel bad for you seeing as how Germany is awesome. Lots to do and see. Tons of sightseeing and good food (plus beer, if you drink). Have fun and remember to take that refresher course when you get back (LOL).

My big decision was whether to take my dive gear on my initial assignment to Lindsey AS in Wiesbaden. Actually I did more dives while living in Germany than I did while living in Guam. There are a large number of active divers and dive organizations in Germany. Spain and the Costa Brava (L'Estartit) is about 8 hours by car from K Town. Camp Darby Recreation Center (Pisa) is about 7. Going to the Red Sea and the coast of Africa is about like traveling to the Caribbean from Atlanta. The wrecks of Scapa Flow Scotland await your visit. Its only a 12 hour flight from Frankfurt to the Maldives. That's pretty phenominal since it takes a day or so from here. The lakes and borrow pits along the Rhine have absoutely great varieties of fish life. I don't know if it is still active but a branch of the Mantas American Scuba Club was located in Landstuhl. I can put you in contact with Jennifer Heinen (the original founder of the Mantas) if you wish. She is a DODDS employee and currently lives in Bitburg. On my second tour to a NATO site in the woods near Pirmasens I was President of the Mantas and the norm was standing room only at the monthly meetings. The event that signifies the end of each diving season was the Fackelschwimmen (Torchswim) in Bad Kreuznach. The Dusseldorf Boat Show each January is massive.

The German word for Diver is Taucher - do a google search on Taucher and Tauchen - Actually Tauchen Magazin is one of the best there is.

Get ready for a grand experience.

Lots of lakes to dive in....but it was never my thing. I jumped on a plane and flew 4 hours to the Red Sea, Turkey is about 2.5 hours away....fun, fun, fun :D Big American community in Ramstein, Landstul and K-town. You should enjoy it:D

Wow thanks for all of the info. I'll definitely have to get in touch with Jennifer Heinen once I get there.

Kind of off the subject here, but can you get American TV channels there? Is high speed Internet popular there?

I had DSL when I lived there and if you have an American TV and a decoder there is a channel or two (armed forces TV) you can get. If you have satelite you can get a couple of English channels too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom