Ramstein

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USAF Diver:
Wow thanks for all of the info. I'll definitely have to get in touch with Jennifer Heinen once I get there.

Kind of off the subject here, but can you get American TV channels there? Is high speed Internet popular there?

Get ready for AFRN, might want somebody to tape some shows that you like here and send them to you. I can assure you that you will "love" the informative commercials that run back to back. Frankfurt is a blast for New Years Eve though, have fun and be safe. One last thing, do not upset the Turks there (if you want to know PM me).

ditto on the turks...learn what offends them before you get there. However DO have tea with them...great shopping too...
I was at Hahn AB in Germany so never got to enjoy the little america where you're going...congrats, your going to a better place...

With a satelite dish you can get all the AFN (Armed Forces Network) stations AFN Prime Atlantic, AFN Sports, AFN Prime Pacific, AFN News, AFN Xtra, AFN Program Guide, AFN Spectrum, Pentagon Channel, AFN Family AFN Movies ect

It's not like the old days when AFRTS (A- Farts) was only on 1 or 2 channels

Don't worry about taping anything you'll get everything just a few days old. I would tape the AFN commercials and send them home... They're the cheesiest ever.... My Favorite the "Ground Guide" one with angry Sgt

USAF Diver:
Kind of off the subject here, but can you get American TV channels there? Is high speed Internet popular there?
AFN (Armed Forces Network) is a service offered by Uncle Sam to military and DoD personnel only (legal restrictions). It actually now carries something like ten channels of American programming -- to include full-time sports, full-time news, and general and womens' programming (whatever that means). Some of the channels are time-shifted for Europe and the Pacific.

It's broadcast by satellite, and you need a special AFN decoder to receive it. They're available for like $300-400 new through the PX/BX (very expensive, but the price just dropped); or (more commonly) you can get one used from someone who's PCSing out. You do have to be authorized, though; and AFN has to activate it for you via satellite.

It's been several years since I've lived in Germany, but there are various satellite and cable providers that carry CNN, Discovery, History, A&E, and like that. I'm pretty sure they carry premium HBO and Cinemax. The European equivalent of ESPN is called EuroSport, and it's carried in a bazillion different languages.

Are you a fan of NFL football, though? Your only hope is AFN.

Another option is to get a grey-market decoder and card for British Sky Broadcasting (BSkyB), like we had in Germany and still have here now... they don't authorize distribution of the decoders outside of the UK, but they seem to shut their eyes to it -- there are several vendors in Germany who can set you up. It's expensive, but there's a spitload of English-language channels (CNN, Discovery, History, EuroSport, extra-cost movie channels, etc etc etc); plus if you have hankering for Bangladeshi TV, that's the place. And the signal footprint covers that part of Germany very well.

Oh... AFN uses an NTSC signal, so your U.S. TV set will work with it. Anything else, and you need PAL or multi-system equipment.

Same with VCR tapes... if you have U.S. tapes, you need an NTSC-capable player and TV.

DVDs? The problem there is regional coding; if all your DVDs are Region 1 (for the U.S.), they won't play on a DVD player you buy in Europe (Region 2)... unless you find a player with no regional coding, or can get that fixed somewhere.

PX/BX of course carries multi-system and multi-voltage equipment... not sure about the coding of their DVD players, but players with no regional coding are available through various diplomatic sales companies.

Internet? The odd thing about Germany is that they're still pretty big on ISDN connections -- merely OK-speed Internet. But DSL has been making serious progress, unless you really live out in the sticks. Another odd thing is that the Germans seem not to allow unlimited access plans; or at least that was the case four years ago. So that unfortunately makes you tend to keep an eye on the clock.

Any more questions, shoot me a PM.

--Marek

hmmm...I had unlimited DSL, but it does depend where you live. Some places are better than others.

justleesa:
hmmm...I had unlimited DSL, but it does depend where you live. Some places are better than others.
Really? When was that... within the last three years or so?

It was a moot point for me... I wasn't able to get DSL at all when we were living east of Munich (Bad Aibling, near Rosenheim) in 1998-2002. But we lived on a farm way out in the country, and they hadn't put DSL repeaters in yet in the area. So I had 64 kbps ISDN, and I couldn't get it unlimited.

There was one German provider (T-Online?) who in about 2001 started offering an unlimited DSL plan, for a few months. Then something happened to make them withdraw the offer. I seem to remember they were challenged legally or something, and that it turned out that it was illegal for them to offer unlimited access.

Kind of like Ladenschlussgesetz?

--Marek

All I have to say is - If you live in K-Town and you have time to watch television - you are doing something wrong.

Back
Top Bottom