Rare primitive shark captured on film

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

some sharks move "extremely slow" in order to concerve energy because at depth they only eat every so often. The video itself does not prove it was dying. Was it really necessary to capture it just because it was rarely seen alive?

That's one crazy mo-fo shark...

-J.-

RonFrank:
I'd name it the SharkFaceEel, or Bob!

You totally rock. I name everything Bob.

:shakehead <-- mu husband's reaction to naming things Bob

Did you see closeups of it's teeth? I love sharks but I wouldn't want to run into those. Just goes to show how little we know about what's out there. That's just awesome.

justleesa:
Creepy looking thing isn't it? The eye looked a bit milky - was that because it was a creature of the deep or because it was sick? (also looked beat up towards the tail)

My guess would be that eye sight is not what that animal relies on to capture prey, it may actually be a protective eye lit that we see that looks milky.

The skin does look a little beat up, not the usual sleekness we associate with sharks, maybe this was an animal that was caught in a net and thrown back, that's why it is at the surface and in such bad condition.

Anyone ever seen Dreamcatcher?

i just had this crazy notion that a pig in a red christmas hat was talking to me

I'm with you, Booth. My wetsuit would definitely need some "freshening" after an encounter in open water with that.

I always knew there was a reason I'm not meant to dive at 2000 feet!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom