Rare primitive shark captured on film

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Already posted...see "How'd you like to see this thing" post

Fish_Whisperer:
Man... That's almost as scary looking as my mother-in-law. *shudder*
I dont think i wanna know if youre being nice to the shark or mean to your mother in law there..

Meng_Tze:
Everything is harmless to people until it bites....

yes, this is why i have a Creature Risk Assesment Protocol (CRAP) procedure

1. does it have teeth?
2. If yes RUN AWAY
3. if no, go to 4

4. does it have spines?
5. if yes RUN AWAY
6. if no, go to 7

7. is it capable of locomotion?
8. if yes, RUN AWAY
9. if no, go to 10

10. It appears this creature is safe. Do not get too close. Do not touch. Do not do anything the creature may perceive as obnoxious, as it may shoot poison out.

WARNING: To be safe from marine creatures, do not enter any body of water in which they are known to live.

WARNING: Even bodies of water otherwise considered "fresh water" may harbor marine creatures. To be completely safe, do not enter any body of water.

H2Andy:
yes, this is why i have a Creature Risk Assesment Protocol (CRAP) procedure

1. does it have teeth?
2. If yes RUN AWAY
3. if no, go to 4

4. does it have spines?
5. if yes RUN AWAY
6. if no, go to 7

7. is it capable of locomotion?
8. if yes, RUN AWAY
9. if no, go to 10

10. It appears this creature is safe. Do not get too close. Do not touch. Do not do anything the creature may perceive as obnoxious, as it may shoot poison out.

WARNING: To be safe from marine creatures, do not enter any body of water in which they are known to live.

WARNING: Even bodies of water otherwise considered "fresh water" may harbor marine creatures. To be completely safe, do not enter any body of water.

On a bad day, my wife passes the test but I've found it usually best to still run away. Perhaps we need to revise the checklist. :D

Now being that it lives 660m down, does the pressure have any effect on it when it comes up near the surface??

I'm not totally sure, but I would guess no. Most sharks don't have swim bladders so there are no air pockets (that I know of) to decompress.

Back
Top Bottom