Rattling sound from Scubapro R390 when pressurized?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evil_xander

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just had my regs serviced, and I noticed something a bit weird. I tried the regs on a tank, just to get them pressurized, didn't manage to take them for a dive yet, and the octo, Scubapro R390, makes a slight rattling sound when pressurized and shaken.

This didn't happen before, and it does not manifest when the reg is not pressurized, only when connected to a tank.

I'll get in touch with the tech, but if anybody has some clues what could be causing the sound? The reg seems to work just fine...

Does the R390 flow immediately when purge is depressed, or does it feel like there is a bit more travel than before? Also when you breath does it feel like there is hesitation before the flow starts? It could be the demand lever is set low and is rattling when shaken. Try taking the front cover off, holding your finger on the lever, not enough to start a flow, and shaking to see if that is it. If it is, and you can not tell the difference in breathing, it may not be worth worrying about. Otherwise take it in and it adjusted.

If the lever is too low, it can affect your ability to properly purge the reg. More importantly it will reduce the working range of the valve and reduce the air flow during normal breathing. That can get you in trouble at depth or when exerting yourself.

When you depress the purge button, the reg should start purging after just a very slight depression of the button. If you have to go more than about 1/16" to 3/32" to get the flow to start, the lever is probably set too low.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom