re gopro hero3 black edition lighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caribean-ted

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just purchased the gopro hero3 black edtion.
Not cheap with extra batter and 64gig sd card. 700 at futureshop for those thinking of buying this video camera. Battery life is good for aprox 1 hour.

Anyways, I was wondering how good the video would turn out using a UK Light Cannon eLED underwater flashlight. Its pretty bright but just wondering how good the video will look for night dives or day. Heading to Roataan in feb.
Also using a headstrap set up for the cam.

you might read up on the GoPro Subforum on here for tips.

Sounds like they way overcharged you on the camera/battery/card at $700! But hey you got it in time for Roatan which is always fun.

In a nutshell, don't use the Light cannon for video lighting, wayyyyy to spot beam and not a wide beam like a SOLA or other true video light.

As a baseline, shoot in 1080P/60 FPS for your first footage for starting "best" results, but don't be scared to try shooting in Protune or RAW for less autowhite balance compression.

Welcome to the gopro world, read up for lots of tips in the gopro subforum.

biggest suggestion would be to have fun, don't use the headband mount, and pan the camera slowly and smoothly.

Also the head strap is going to give you very wobbly jittery footage, best to use a tray system, even home fabricated, a PVC pipe homemade pole cam mount is fun to play with too.

Thanks Rocky, saved me a few bucks also.
My usb seems to have trouble recognising the camera when its plugged into the computer, need to take the sd card out and do it manually. Its ok not that big a deal. However I need to do some reading on it to figure out how to change the settings, seems the settings it came with look ok.
Guess I need to look into some lights for it.
The sola isnt cheap cost more than the camera LOL

The sola isnt cheap cost more than the camera LOL

LOL LOL LOL, neither cheap is your trip to Roatan from the great white north Canuck land.

To quote Yoda: Try not, Do.

SOLAS are cheap at $300-500, in respect to your $3000-4000 vacation, but if you want cheap lights, buy and spend cheap, or don't spend at all.....and then wonder why you're dissapointed in your vacation video............ or join the wankers that debate filters till they're blue in the face on the playground of life.

LOL LOL LOL, neither cheap is your trip to Roatan from the great white north Canuck land.

To quote Yoda: Try not, Do.

SOLAS are cheap at $300-500, in respect to your $3000-4000 vacation, but if you want cheap lights, buy and spend cheap, or don't spend at all.....and then wonder why you're dissapointed in your vacation video............ or join the wankers that debate filters till they're blue in the face on the playground of life.

Point well taken. Damn, nothing is cheap anymore. LOL
Can you recommend a good model? I also dive in the lakes up here, cold water 45c and up.
Also maybe something to keep the lens from fogging if theres a problem with this on the gopro models, and im sure there is.

No Worries Ted.........and heh heh, I hope you meant 45F and up as your local coldwater, as 45C I'm not sure I'd even be in a swimsuit!

Yes GoPro sells small thin anti-fog strips, they're a must. Buy those they're cheap at $10-12 a pack, and you can re-use them 5-8 times each microwaving them ~20 seconds between dives.

Lighting, while not cheap, is for me anyways, is a buy it right buy it once purchase, instead of going cheap, then spend a little more, then actually getting what you really want the third time. Meanwhile two crappy lights gather dust in the garage.

To each his own, and you'll get lots of options/opinions out there in the web-world, but for a small and compact GoPro, it's hard to beat bang for the buck and size, of the SOLA lights.

I run twin SOLA 600 dive lights (the blue ring models) They're "last years model" no longer produced so you can find them on ebay or discounted at dive shops for $329 range. The next step up or present models are Sola 800 or 1200's. SOLA 1200's on sale go for about $579. Remember that Buy it Once Buy it Right motto of mine. I bought my twin 600's, for the price of a single 1200.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro-video/439885-my-diy-hero-tray-travel-bag-light-arms.html

Some say "Filters only who needs lights" works fine, (which it is in open water) till you NEED fill in light or for shooting under a ledge or in a swim through.

For Filters, I'm very impressed with the SRP line of filters as they're very modular with Blue/Green water filters, and snap on/off even underwater. Others will say to run an in-camera gel filter which is cheaper and works too, but you're stuck with that gel filter even for filming before/after the dive while on the boat or surface, which basically negates any on-surface filming with an internal filter.

Go SRP, buy it once do it right. Backscatter also makes a nice swing-out filter, as well as other cheaper less proven options/mfr's.

SRP Home

PS, where are you staying while on Roatan? I've lived there before and worked at resorts..............yes it was a tough life..........Have some Flora-de-cana Rum for me..........grins

I agree with Rocky. You will need light for under ledges, dark swim throughs, night dives, fill in lighting. The super wide angle of the GoPro needs powerful lights to fill the frame. Your UK flashlight beam will be too narrow, unless you want the spotlight effect.

When it comes to lights you have to make a decision if you can afford a quality set of lights and if you will need them. How often will you want to record video in the situations described above ? Enough that you feel the money spent on quality lights was worth it ? The answer is different for each of us.

For wide open water a filter is the way to go. In my opinion, pretty much all the filters out there will perform the same. Unlike video lights, filters are not expensive.

You can spend a lot of money on UW video equipment and accessories. Great if you can afford it. Just do a little research to see how much it will improve your video footage.

BTW, what I mean by research is, watch some video shot with the actual accessory or equipment you are thinking of buying. Expectations can be a funny thing. Nothing worse than spending a lot of money on something only to be disappointed because the results did not meet your expectations. Everyone has an opinion and expectations. Watch some video, form your own opinion. There are a ton of GoPro clips in this forum as well as on youtube, vimeo, etc..

Last edited:
The GoPro has a huge field of view actually even too wide no Sola model available on the market can fill the go pro frame even in twins you need more than 110+ degrees each so you would need to crop the frame (not necessarily a bad thing as gopro corners are blurred)
Even if you did that in daylight you would need to pump some many lumens to see some difference that you would scare the fish away
So as Ron says check what kind of diving you do and if there are opportunities to put the light to use before spending a lot of money

And going cheap is not an option if you buy get something decent and shooting at highest mode you can crop the image until the lights reach out

So bad news you need two lights and they also better be good a torch would do nothing just waste some cash

Ran 2 Sola 1200's and it wasn't quite enough IMO. Mainly for the deeper dives. Above 40 with the SRP filter and wow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No Worries Ted.........and heh heh, I hope you meant 45F and up as your local coldwater, as 45C I'm not sure I'd even be in a swimsuit!

Yes GoPro sells small thin anti-fog strips, they're a must. Buy those they're cheap at $10-12 a pack, and you can re-use them 5-8 times each microwaving them ~20 seconds between dives.

Lighting, while not cheap, is for me anyways, is a buy it right buy it once purchase, instead of going cheap, then spend a little more, then actually getting what you really want the third time. Meanwhile two crappy lights gather dust in the garage.

To each his own, and you'll get lots of options/opinions out there in the web-world, but for a small and compact GoPro, it's hard to beat bang for the buck and size, of the SOLA lights.

I run twin SOLA 600 dive lights (the blue ring models) They're "last years model" no longer produced so you can find them on ebay or discounted at dive shops for $329 range. The next step up or present models are Sola 800 or 1200's. SOLA 1200's on sale go for about $579. Remember that Buy it Once Buy it Right motto of mine. I bought my twin 600's, for the price of a single 1200.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro-video/439885-my-diy-hero-tray-travel-bag-light-arms.html

Some say "Filters only who needs lights" works fine, (which it is in open water) till you NEED fill in light or for shooting under a ledge or in a swim through.

For Filters, I'm very impressed with the SRP line of filters as they're very modular with Blue/Green water filters, and snap on/off even underwater. Others will say to run an in-camera gel filter which is cheaper and works too, but you're stuck with that gel filter even for filming before/after the dive while on the boat or surface, which basically negates any on-surface filming with an internal filter.

Go SRP, buy it once do it right. Backscatter also makes a nice swing-out filter, as well as other cheaper less proven options/mfr's.

SRP Home

PS, where are you staying while on Roatan? I've lived there before and worked at resorts..............yes it was a tough life..........Have some Flora-de-cana Rum for me..........grins

Thanks Rocky, Im looking at one sola 1200 for now. Hope its enough. Cost more then the camera. LOL

Im staying at infinity bay. Looks like a nice place Dont really need the kitchen except for coffee and maybe toast in the morning LOL Cant cook for crap. Also not much into cooking anyways.

---------- Post added January 20th, 2013 at 09:50 PM ----------

The GoPro has a huge field of view actually even too wide no Sola model available on the market can fill the go pro frame even in twins you need more than 110+ degrees each so you would need to crop the frame (not necessarily a bad thing as gopro corners are blurred)
Even if you did that in daylight you would need to pump some many lumens to see some difference that you would scare the fish away
So as Ron says check what kind of diving you do and if there are opportunities to put the light to use before spending a lot of money

And going cheap is not an option if you buy get something decent and shooting at highest mode you can crop the image until the lights reach out

So bad news you need two lights and they also better be good a torch would do nothing just waste some cash

Mikeycanuk
Ran 2 Sola 1200's and it wasn't quite enough IMO. Mainly for the deeper dives. Above 40 with the SRP filter and wow.

Ok thanks guys, looks like I will need two sola1200s, damn there goes 1600 cant beleive the lights are more then the camera, takes no technology to build lighting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom