Reaching Greater Depths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All I am saying is the gas is there... My SAC/RMV is no where near 1.0 - that is the point. Your risk tolerance is your own.

If I am doing that dive and I use my avg SAC/RMV for this year I am at .593 - same dive 130 feet - 10 mins bottom time - 3 min safety stop at 20 feet. That leaves me with 1286 PSI or 33.2 cu ft when I surface - not including my 19 cu ft pony.

Sooo again I ask how much Gas do you need? :D

*** Edit *** promise to go diving now...lol...
Anything from .2-.5 depending on conditions and kit configuration (single, twins, dry or wet, stage etc).

.2???? Skip breathing much?

Is that including the margin for increased gas consumption due to stress, plus gas for donation to an equally stressed OOG buddy?

---------- Post added November 16th, 2014 at 10:09 PM ----------

Unless you've found a nifty multilevel plan that I'm unaware of, you're talking about planned deco. I don't believe that's particularly relevant in this particular subforum.

Sort of. The plan was anything from 30-45 minute bottom time with anything from minimum deco to a max of 15 minutes deco. We were playing it by ear that day as it was going to depend on conditions. Vis was okay (3m), but dark, but good dive.

---------- Post added November 16th, 2014 at 06:53 PM ----------

.2???? Skip breathing much?
I'm only little and in decent shape. On a warm water, look at the pretty fish dive I don't use much gas.

.2 is beyond the norm for even those with the lowest RMV's. So unless you are 3'11", I would venture to say you are breathing too shallow, or skip breathing a lot, or both.

.2 is beyond the norm for even those with the lowest RMV's. So unless you are 3'11", I would venture to say you are breathing too shallow, or skip breathing a lot, or both.

I can assure you I wasn't doing either. Just a couple of really easy dives in grand Turk, spending a load of time in about 20 feet of water trying to use a bit more gas. I was literally swimming around a small patch of reef underneath the boat looking in crevices. I've hit that low twice. Warm water and easy single tank stuff in the UK, my average is .3-.4. Add my twinset and stage, it's .45-.5.

I have seen some astonishly low SACs in my time - I even met a girl once who dived the San Francisco Maru (at 180') on a 72. But I have never seen anyone close to 0.2 (assuming we are talking imperial here). Even 0.3 is pretty staggering, and you are talking about cutting that by a third.

Just sayin'.

I am a small girl and my RMV is .26 in completely calm water with little to no current. I've had an isolated .24. In current I'm a .42. I am in good shape and don't skip breathe. Low rates are possible if you remain mindful of your breathing patterns and stay relaxed. I'm a slow diver though so that may have something to do with it as well. ��

If you want to be certified to go deeper then you need to be certified for decompression diving. A way to get there would be Open Water, Advanced Open Water, Nitrox (40% O2 and below), Advanced Nitrox (100% O2 and below), Decompression Procedures (certifies you to conduct decompression dives). The last two are TDI courses, but PADI has comparable ones. That will certify you down to 150' breathing air. TDI has an additional course called extended range, which will certify you to 186' on air.

Past that, you can take Trimix (certifies you to use helium in your breathing gas to 200'), and Advanced Trimix (more helium and less O2 to 330').

After that you're kind of on your own :). Best of luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom