Reaching Greater Depths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gas consumption at 5 atm is what I was thinking of. [...] I could be wrong, but to me, those are doubles depths.
I don't know what kind of selection you have in doubles on your side of the pond, but over here, a set of doubles can be anything from a D6L 300bar set - with a capacity exactly equal to one of the more popular higher-capacity singles (12L 300 bar) to a D18L 232bar set, which is only appropriate on longer deco dives. So, over here, the term "doubles depths" is kinda meaningless.

A 130ft dive isn't one i would do in a single. Nor would I do it without a bit of helium in my cylinders, especially in the UK. At those depths, I'm narced. No doubt about it. Things are just a little bit foggy, and I'm a bit more laid back than usual. I can still function for the most part at those depths without helium. But I've also done some silly things on plain old nitrox at 35m (approximately 115 ft). Chasing after a jellyfish when i should have been providing light for a blob deployment comes to mind...

A 130ft dive isn't one i would do in a single. Nor would I do it without a bit of helium in my cylinders, especially in the UK. At those depths, I'm narced. No doubt about it. Things are just a little bit foggy, and I'm a bit more laid back than usual. I can still function for the most part at those depths without helium. But I've also done some silly things on plain old nitrox at 35m (approximately 115 ft). Chasing after a jellyfish when i should have been providing light for a blob deployment comes to mind...

You realize that in an AL80 with a SAC/RMV of 1.0 - you could do that dive with 10 mins of bottom time and a 3 minute safty stop - total gas used is 74.5 cu ft. How much gas do you need?
And I keep saying a pony is a must - no one is suggesting without some redundancy... :D

You realize that in an AL80 with a SAC/RMV of 1.0 - you could do that dive with 10 mins of bottom time and a 3 minute safty stop - total gas used is 74.5 cu ft. How much gas do you need?
And I keep saying a pony is a must - no one is suggesting without some redundancy... :D

that's cutting it a wee bit tight with gas reserves, no? I know quite a few people who dive with a pony, and they still plan a reserve in case the brown stuff hits the whirly thing. the pony doesn't factor into the reserve.
you do know an ali 80 has only 77 cu ft of gas right? so you've got a reserve of 2.5 cu ft.
What if there's a bit of current? or you get snagged on the shotline? or for you have an issue with your pony? Or your buddy needs gas?

For anything below 100 ft, I don't think a single is appropriate. And I wouldn't do a dive below 100 ft with anyone who was in a single.

Oh, and I want more than 10 minutes of bottom time. One of my best sea dives this year was 45 minutes at an average depth of 30m. It was absolutely cracking. Try doing that on a single.

You realize that in an AL80 with a SAC/RMV of 1.0 - you could do that dive with 10 mins of bottom time and a 3 minute safty stop
Is that including the margin for increased gas consumption due to stress, plus gas for donation to an equally stressed OOG buddy?

---------- Post added November 16th, 2014 at 10:09 PM ----------

I want more than 10 minutes of bottom time. One of my best sea dives this year was 45 minutes at an average depth of 30m. It was absolutely cracking. Try doing that on a single.
Unless you've found a nifty multilevel plan that I'm unaware of, you're talking about planned deco. I don't believe that's particularly relevant in this particular subforum.

I will share with you my experience with AOW, you can draw your own conclusions from it. I have done my AOW right after OW, my very first dive after getting OW certified was a dive to an airplane wreck at ~115 feet. My thinking at that time was that, AOW was a great way to get more experience under a watchful eye of an instructor. My instructor claimed he had a few thousands of dives of experience, he was a PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, it sounded like he was making his living teaching, and I trusted that I would be perfectly safe with him.

Here's how my dive actually went. My instructor was probably somewhere within 30 feet at all times, but he got busy with other divers, I think there were 4 of us down, and I don't think he really paid much attention to me individually. Perhaps he concluded that I knew what I was doing because I got certified on Long Island, or whatever. I was quite freaked out, and task loaded, my breathing was very noticeably elevated, even though I didn't think I was too anxious or uncomfortable, it just seemed like the way things were supposed to naturally take their course. I eventually ran down to I don't remember what, but less than 500 psi, before I noticed that I needed to ascend. I did not panic, but I wasn't exactly able to think clearly, either, my knee jerk reaction was to head for the ascent line. I started to ascend, soon to realize that I did not have enough for the safety stop. Not realizing that I could simply skip the stop, I made another decision without thinking, to head back down, to grab a diver to demand air from. After I met with a diver, and signaled OOA, the person seemed startled, and didn't at first register what I wanted from him. I don't remember how long it took, and whether he first gave me the regulator, or whether I took it from him, that part is fuzzy. We went up together. I have not seen my instructor until I was back on the boat. AFAIK, nobody else seemed to even care much to comment on this, my insta-buddy and I concluded that it was a great learning experience. No doubt it was, I certainly have become instantly better at gas management after that dive, but thinking back, it surely seems like a complete cluster****... and with a few incompetent divers in the water, and only one instructor, the outcome of that AOW could have been different.

Now, with the AOW cert in my pocket, once back home, I gained access to local wreck diving. I eventually headed out for a dive with my local dive shop, again falsely assuming that with the help of the dive shop staff (some of whom claimed to have done the Doria), I would be somehow safer. On one of my first local wreck dives, I believe it was dive #20, to just shy of 70 feet, so not particularly deep, my pair of insta-buddies abandoned me, because I was taking too long to descend (or maybe they thought I would catch up with them, neither tried to stay within a visual distance). After realizing that I was alone, once at the bottom, I took a few minutes to calm down, and in the hope my buddies would show up, and since I was already there, on my own, and with my trusty 30 cuft pony, I decided to not rush back up, and to instead execute my first official solo dive, by swimming within 10-15 feet of the anchor until my buddies return. This was also a fantastic learning experience, I learned pretty early on about equipment task loading (first time with a pony), buddy separation, and a bunch of other things, but looking back this dive was definitely a major cluster**** as well.

All I am saying is the gas is there... My SAC/RMV is no where near 1.0 - that is the point. Your risk tolerance is your own.

If I am doing that dive and I use my avg SAC/RMV for this year I am at .593 - same dive 130 feet - 10 mins bottom time - 3 min safety stop at 20 feet. That leaves me with 1286 PSI or 33.2 cu ft when I surface - not including my 19 cu ft pony.

Sooo again I ask how much Gas do you need? :D

*** Edit *** promise to go diving now...lol...

Last edited:
SCUBA - the only sport where men brag about how low their sac is.

Depends on your RMV.

Thank you... It depends on your RMV. :D
And I would not do it without a pony - but I would do it with an AL80... Although some folks say it is not in their comfort zone.

Y'all are taking this thread to a new level..lol.

Between advocating a 130' dive on an al80 and saying that doubles are required for that depth and that rec divers don't belong at 130'....I almost missed the part where one of you got psi confused with cuft.

For Christ's sake get off the internet and go diving.

Back
Top Bottom