Read gauges with no mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was doing my no mask swim practice yesterday and was finally was able to catch a bubble in my cupped hand to see my gauges. Not just see, but SEE! -better than with a mask. Problem is can't repeat it easily. There is a old thread on this topic http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...k-read-gauges.html?highlight=Read+gauges+mask, but has anyone found a recent, easier, trick for accomplishing this? Reason: completely pointless, but fun way to increase no-mask confidence...

You know, I wasn't even aware that this was even possible. It gives me something to try and practice.

Hell, I can't hardly even see a gauge without a mask.

I've tried it at the swimming pool but never had any success with it before.
Will be interested to find out if there's any 'trick' to this.

It's a fun "old school" trick....kinda like using a glove in front of your mouth to talk underwater.

I take your point, but if I was really concerned about "no mask" u/w situations, I'd carry a spare!

I've personally had 1 mask issue in 30+ years and over 1000 dives; the mask cracked, almost exploded, looked like when a windshield on a car gets hit by something.

This happened about 6 years ago in the Bahamas, in about 75 ft off Freeport - it was not a big deal; but at the time I was looking for my buddy (who was real close) - not bubbles to capture to read the guages!

It's a fun "old school" trick....kinda like using a glove in front of your mouth to talk underwater.

Please share this trick! :)

The talking glove......hold the open end of the glove and seal around mouth, talk into the bubble of air.....should only be done with the hand removed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom