Read gauges with no mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although the pat answer is to carry a spare mask, it is a fun thing to do while waiting out a stop.

P.S. Add me to the list of divers who will jump into their pools this weekend to see if they can catch enough bubbles to clearly read their gages!

Count me in too. -I can't believe that I never thought to use both hands, was keeping one hand free to snag the mask. Cup both hands over the brows and exhale into the makeshift mask, how easy does that sound...

I gave this a try Friday. I found it was no problem to get a bubble of air trapped if I used both hands above my eyes. However, I found that once you had your "mask" created, you were not much better off, as I was then stuck with my hands pressed against my forehead, unable to look up without losing the bubble, and unable to read gauges since both hands were occupied. Looks like spare mask is the way to go.

I played around a little bit with this, too and got it to work once in the pool. Trick is to use the hand above one eye only and not try to cover both eyes. But even with that, I decided it's not really practical and I'm taking a spare mask on all dives instead....:D

Count me in too. -I can't believe that I never thought to use both hands, was keeping one hand free to snag the mask. Cup both hands over the brows and exhale into the makeshift mask, how easy does that sound...

Yes, but what good does that? In that scenario, you need a buddy to hold the gauge up to your eyes. :wink:

It is also possible to catch a small bubble on the surface of your eye. You need to be good at winning the lottery, though, its not easy. I actually had it happen during my wreck class, when my instructor took off my mask and wrapped a cable around my valve. I (unfortunately) let go of the line to free the cable, then couldnt find the line. As i was reaching for the spare mask, a bubble caught in one eye, and I could see everything veeeeery clearly. It was kind of a moot point, though, as I was going for the spare mask anywho.

Its a neat trick, though, if you can get it to work. I think you'd have better chances with groping around for your mask blindly, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom