Read My Lips? UW communication w/o FFM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In the June 2004 issue of Scientific American, there was a small article about an experimental system for interpreting unspoken "speech":
Scientific American:
If noise, injury or a thin atmosphere ever gets in the way of conversations between future astronauts, a NASA technology that recognizes unspoken words may come in handy. The tongue and vocal cords may not move when speaking silently, but they still receive speech signals. To pick up those signals, Chuck Jorgensen of the NASA Ames Research Center placed button-size sensors under the chin and on the neck of three subjects. A computer program recorded electrical activity whenever it rose above background noise and learned to associate the signals from an individual speaker with one of about 20 different words nearly 90 percent successfully, Jorgensen claims. By silently mouthing numbers, subjects browsed the Web without a keyboard. Hazmat crews, divers and the handicapped may benefit from subvocal speech recognition, says Jorgensen, whose findings were announced by NASA in March.
It seems that this could even be of benefit to divers with typical regulators not just full-face masks. Since the SEARCH function didn't turn up any discussion about this, I was wondering how well this might be received (when it's practical and reasonably priced, of course).

-Rob

rab:
In the June 2004 issue of Scientific American, there was a small article about an experimental system for interpreting unspoken "speech":
It seems that this could even be of benefit to divers with typical regulators not just full-face masks. Since the SEARCH function didn't turn up any discussion about this, I was wondering how well this might be received (when it's practical and reasonably priced, of course).

-Rob
I donno. For tech diving, great. For rec diving, it's hard enough to put up with listening to some of my buddies on the surface. :wink:
I kinda like it quiet down there...

For whatever it costs, I bet you could get in a number of sign language classes! :) No communication restrications underwater at all. :)

I quite agree with the sign language idea, AmyJ. I've actually looked at the SeaSigns information and have considered getting the video. (I might do that and add it to my scuba club's library, too.)

The one big difference could be training. The experimental device seems to be speaker-dependent and would need to be trained for the wearer. Also, it could be a tremendous aid for scuba training since it wouldn't involve different equipment (i.e., FFM), but I'd think it would have to be used sparingly so that the more universal hand signals would remain primary.

-Rob

rab:
I quite agree with the sign language idea, AmyJ. I've actually looked at the SeaSigns information and have considered getting the video. (I might do that and add it to my scuba club's library, too.)

The one big difference could be training. The experimental device seems to be speaker-dependent and would need to be trained for the wearer. Also, it could be a tremendous aid for scuba training since it wouldn't involve different equipment (i.e., FFM), but I'd think it would have to be used sparingly so that the more universal hand signals would remain primary.

-Rob
Hi there...

Well, I support your interest in the signing... it is great fun! I haven't seen the details of the SeaSigns information, but I'm sure it's good. If you really decide you want to get into it... can I make a suggestion? Look into Signing Exact English (SEE), dictionary available at www.modsigns.com (or sometimes barnes and noble etc). This sign system is ENGLISH, on the hands, versus American Sign Language (ASL) which is a foreign language and uses completely different sytax, grammar, etc. Without years of study ASL can be really confusing and just not done well. If you have any signing questions feel free to pm. :)

Happy Hands,

Sign language works out great. I learned sign language when I was younger...I am teaching my dive buddy his ABC's right now (lol)..He will have to spell everything to me underwater....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom