Readers Poll: Boat is sinking. Don SCUBA or Life Vest?

Dive boat is sinking. You have SCUBA gear ready. Do you use it or a Life Vest?

• Use my SCUBA gear and jump off.

Votes: 50 60.2%
  • Use the Life Jacket and leave my gear behind to sink with the boat.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Use Life Vest but take my mask, fins and snorkel with me into the water.

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • Do whatever the captain says even if I don't agree with him.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Go down with the ship.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Hope the life raft deploys and get in it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Argue with the captain about what the best thing to do is.

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I noticed no one has considered how heavy their gear is sitting in the rack at the bench. If the boat was awash I might do the gear thing because I carry an EPRB. Wet suit is a nice idea, but you would probably have to put it on in the water if your not already suited up. Most west cost dives we are all walking around in most of our suit anyway. Life vest? Get it if your not in a wet suit, otherwise wait for one to float up from the wreck.

As long as we are considering scenarios, what if the vessel sinks or catches fire during your dive?
Wreck dive?

... If the boat was awash I might do the gear thing because I carry an EPRB...

EPRB (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon) or PLB (Personal Locator Beacon)? I thought EPIRBs had to float and auto-activate in the water.

Even if you don’t have one, taking the onboard EPIRB off the boat might be more important for a diver in a suit than additional floatation.

EPRB (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon) or PLB (Personal Locator Beacon)? I thought EPIRBs had to float and auto-activate in the water.

Even if you don’t have one, taking the onboard EPIRB off the boat might be more important for a diver in a suit than additional floatation.

Lots of divers today are carrying the Resqlink+ (Or the McMurdo Fast Find) inside a canister mounted on their harness, much like you carry a Nautilus (I keep my Nautilus in my pocket in case I have to ditch my gear). They do float as that is what the + stands for. There is no auto activation though. The name is all semantics, so I call them PEPIRB's (Often spelled P-EPIRB) for "Personal Emergency Indicating Radio Beacon". You can google it, as it is a real word.
ResQLink+ 406 Buoyant Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) | ACR ARTEX

I also carry a PLB in a housing on some dives, but I'm not aware of an EPIRB that can be taken underwater. All the ones I am aware of are pretty large, are quite buoyant, and auto-activate in the water.

For example the ACR 2848 EPIRB is 15.34”H x 4.2”W x 3.58”D without a submersible housing. My PLB housing is only 2-3/8" in diameter x 8-1/8' long.

ACR 2848 Category II GlobalFix iPro Manual Deploy Epirb with GPS The GPS Store

EPIRBs last much longer and the ones I have seen are more physically robust.

What are the Differences between an EPIRB and a PLB?

Edit: Here is a brief discussion on making distress calls:
Diving and Seamanship, Calls for Help

Attachments

• FasFind-OMS.jpg
    FasFind-OMS.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 129
I'm a rookie, so bear with me: I was once in a situation similar to that, and it astounded me how quickly everyone panics and the situation deteriorates. What I would do: grab my dive bag, throw my wetsuit in it, grab water bottles and put in my bag, put my bcd on, find a corner of the boat near no one, and wait until the last sec to pop off. In those last moments, you could think of something else to grab. The last thing I would do is make a run for life jacket. Everyone else will do that, may not be enough, will lose time in the congestion, someone may grab my stuff when I turn my back to it, etc. Inflate bcd manually. Wrap wetsuit around my waist, I can put it on when I calm down. Go into my bag where I keep large red inflatable ring (type that you bring to the pool). Blow up ring, put my feet up on it, so I'm horizontal on surface. Ive been in a life jacket, keeps you vertical, you use up energy by kicking your feet without thinking, and you are so low on the surface, you can't see anything. Ring allows you to get some vertical, being able to see further. Put your feet up on ring to get comfortable, could be many many hours before rescued. Need to conserve energy, don't move around alot. Tell myself to think like a winner, because many people get overwhelmed and just give up and die, so mental strength is the only think that keeps some people alive and others cave.

I'm a rookie, so bear with me: I was once in a situation similar to that, and it astounded me how quickly everyone panics and the situation deteriorates.

Some very good points to think of in your post. you are so right when things go bad they can go bad very very quickly.

This actually happened to some friends of mine. Recife, Sep 3, 2010. Dive boat Van Gogh, 5 miles off NE coast of Brazil. Rough weather, wooden boat construction. The hull under the head ripped out and the boat DISAPPEARED IN 90 SECONDS.
14 people on board, all experienced divers or crew members. Everyone stayed calm.
They all went into the water with life vests and one just had time to grab his cell phone that was at hand and stuck it in a plastic box - this was later used to call for help.
This scenario makes quite a few of the replies above somewhat laughable.

Why? Because your arms need longer to go into the holes of your BCD than a life jacket, or because not all shipwrecks go down at the same rate?
The question is a "what would you preferr" not a "what do you have time for if the boat blow up in an instant"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom