Reading Diver Down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead:
Dealing with equipment failures is part and parcel of being a prepared diver.

exactly! and yet, my buddies never did appreciate me ripping off their inflator
hoses, or cutting their wings, or disconnecting their tank valves without warning ...

wusses...

and now they're like, "no we won't dive with you; you're not safe."

i'm like, hello? who shot up to the surface crying like a wounded marmoset? who
swallowed more water than all the drains in the states of Louisiana and Mississippi
during Katrina? who tried to take my secondary reg at knife point?

who's not safe?

NOT ME!

cry babies...

ok... thank you for letting me rant

:rofl2:

mdmbike to scuba:
Hey,jen well the cost was free because I do asthma studys for this Doc. I also tell most people with asthma that they need to stay in shape all the time. I work out all the time and I have not had trouble with an asthma attack in 20yrs. My Doc told me to take my inhaler 15min before a dive. I didnt take meds on any of my dives,and didnt have problem one. All of your trigger are not under water so thats gooooood. We just have to relax and do a self check before we get into the water,if you feel chest being tight then dont get in the water. I'm going to keep researching things to make sure. Now the deepest I have been is 113ft and presure didnt effect me. From what I have gotten from DAN and others so far its a case by case thing. I dont thing you will have any problem at all. The biggest problem with people that have asthma is the ones that trap air in there lungs. That type is very very bad. Its like holding your breath all the way up and you know what happens next. If you dont mind what meds do you take for your asthma? sorry so long......Mark or mdmbike

I have albuterol that my doctor gave me. The funny thing is there is no record of me being diagnosed with asthma. When I was twelve I had bronchitis and the doctor diagnosed my asthma but never wrote it down. He gave me a prescription but that wasn't recorded either. So, I just tell doctors I have asthma and they write the prescription.

I definetely stay in shape. I actually breathe through my nose when I run to help control my breathing (I used to be a swimmer so I'm used to not breathing any time I want. I am hoping that this will condition my lungs a bit).

When I do have an asthma attack, it's pretty mild, but very uncomfortable and I try to go outside to get fresh air.

The plan is to see the doc soon!! Also, what do you mean by doing asthma studies for the doctor?? Thanks
Jen

TheRedHead:
Dealing with equipment failures is part and parcel of being a prepared diver. My copy arrived today and I'm looking forward to reading it.

Agreed.. that's why I said I would like to see a the same type of work done as Diver Down, but instead of "human judgement issues" I'd like to see one done revolving around equipment failures and some suggested immedeate actions/procedures that could help in a equipment failure. As a training toool it would be valuable..in my rookie opinion anyway.

Hey, Jen They have asthma med study where you test FDA aproved meds. Most try to find how much some people need. All study are very safe, I have used all the meds in the past. The Bonus is that they pay you and cover all your Doc bills. It help you find what meds work for you best. I have the same tiggers that you have and breath the same way you do. Which I found is good for diving you know, mask and ear equalization. I use the same meds plus advair disk. How long ago did the doc tell you that you have asthma? Mark

Mdmbike to scuba

He told me I had asthma almost 15 years ago. The first time I had to get a new prescription, it was a pain, but doctors seem to just write the script now.

Jen

Lots of docs prescribe albuterol based on a single episode of questionable wheezing. If you're worried about your respiratory status, be sure to talk it over with your doctor, preferably one who knows a bit about diving.

DAN is a great resource, also. You can call their medical advice (non-emergency) line, and they'll help walk you through your questions. I don't know if anybody posted this already, but they have a brief FAQ on Ashtma and Fitness to Dive at https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=124
There's also a slightly longer article at:
https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=22

(And if you really want to read some scary stories about dive accidents, as well as darwin awards for boneheaded mistakes, don't miss their annual Dive Accidents and Incidents report, which is available for free download if you're a member.)

You can also PM me if you'd like. I'm a Doctor of Pharmacy and an Open Water Scuba Instructor.

As for the clinical trials, I'd like to hear more about your involvement, Mike. That's what I do for a living. (www.appianresearch.com)

Safe ascents to all,
Grier

Hello Grier ,any infor that would help your studys I can help for sure. Do you know any study that are being held for asthma and diving? Right now I have 11 dive and the deepest I've been is 113ft with no trouble at all. Any help I can give just let me know. Mark

jennasnyder1980:
So I have been glued to this board lately and picked up Diver Down a few days ago and have been scared out of my wetsuit. I know all of this can be prevented in many cases, but I've also been pretty scared about having an embolism. I have minor asthma and am scared that one day I will have a lung embolism, or a huge current will take me out and no one will ever find me again.

But the best thing that I can say is I think I will think twice before I jump in so easily. In Thailand, I let myself be rushed in the water and had problems with equipment that led to a shared air ascent that I know could have been prevented.

Has anyone read this book? I almost feel like some of this more common scenarios should be reviewed with divers (read a few together as a class).

Thanks
Jen

Fear is useless. Logical will to stay alive is useful.

I don't want to take risks, because I want to live to dive another day :), not because I worry about the actual death occurring.

Like any other person, I have been in accidents of many types (not while diving). The accident itself seems to blurr by. The fear of the accident is much more unpleasant.

Its good to have a careful attitude, and a logical will to live another day, but boredom is worse than death, remember that.

I think that diving with unwarranted fear is more dangerous than diving with a controlled medical condition. I recently finished "Diver Down" and with the exception of the first scenario of an "undeserved" AGE, I found nothing that couldn't have been prevented by adhering to training practices, open water or technical.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom