Ready to buy gear, what about a BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Military types should feel right at home in a harness. I did. I do from time to time wear a jacket bcd in pool classes. I will never go back from my bp/w for my diving.

Remember, tech diving is just recreational diving with extra details during the dive. Those dirty tech types enjoy comfort and ease just as much as the next guy.

Personally, I've found that a BP/W are not for me if I'm diving a single tank. For some reason the one I have and the others I've used don't seem to rest in a very stable way on my back. I greatly prefer the soft harness and wing like the Dive Rite Transpac. Much more comfortable (for me), much greater stability and I still have the flexibility of changing my wings when I dive different locations... and can still use my BP with my wings if I decide to.

I have a HOG stainless steel bp and a 32# wing and a Zeagle Express Tech bp and a 30# wing and both are inexpensive and work great. Think between the two I paid $600 which is what a single, fancy jacket style bcd would run you. 2 for the price of one and one is dedicated for travel.

Where did you buy them? The best price I can find for a Hog SS backplate is $89 and the best price I can find for a 32# wing is $240. This doesn't include the harness nor any other accessories.

I bought my rig from dive right in scuba for 379.00

Sent from my LG-P710 using Tapatalk

I love my BPW set up. I have used it the past 2 weekends and its much more comfortable to me then a jackets style BCP. I also use 14 lbs less weight then when I was using a jacket BCD. Its much more customizable and easier to pack if you are going to travel. once it is all set up the way you like it you will be good to go. you will not have to worry about gaining or loosing weight and your BCD not fitting you anymore. all you will need to do is adjust your webbing and your good to go.

I got mine used off this site. if you are not in a rush to buy right now then you can find a good deal on something.

Where did you buy them? The best price I can find for a Hog SS backplate is $89 and the best price I can find for a 32# wing is $240. This doesn't include the harness nor any other accessories.

DRIS has a package deal for the HOG bp/w - HOG Gear BP/W Full Set - Single | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba for $460 (I don't remember paying that much for it though, pretty sure it was closer to $400, maybe $420 at most. Keep in mind this was in 2012 or so.)

Zeagle Express has the full Express Tech's for $322 Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe Kit scuba diving gear at Zeagle Express

On my Express tech I got the 30# wing on sale, bought the bp separately for $67 and already had all the webbing for the harness (I don't like the new harnesses they sell them with now). If you don't have webbing or d-rings/other hardware though you can pick it up for cheap from divegearexpress.com or reefscuba.com. So, it probably was a bit over $600 all together now that I add it up using today's prices, but I'm sure it wasn't over $650 for the both of them.

Contact Jim for some great prices on Hog equipment. I just purchased the 32# Hog from him. Great seller.

I've been diving since 2010 and only used a BCD in my OW class. I did a lot of research and went for a BP/W and have never looked back. If I'm diving I'm using one of my setups. I have one for cold water and another for warm water. I agree with Erik. Give Jim a call or email.

Contact Jim for some great prices on Hog equipment. I just purchased the 32# Hog from him. Great seller.

I second that.

EDIT: Looks like I should "third" that, rather than second.

I checked his website while looking for the lowest prices. I can't find an entire setup for $300 as a package or a la carte.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom