• Scubapro

Votes: 30 57.7%
  • Aqua~Lung

Votes: 19 36.5%
  • Other (Please suggest something)

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"If its good...for you, why...[not] for your buddy?"
Im thinking the octo is an emergency tool that will be used rarely, if ever, and only for the emergency acent when it is...right? Im kinda looking at a G250V for an octo as having a 22" chrome plated spare tire...instead of the little donut spare. Like its overkill. Im open minded and want to know if theres anything Im not understanding, so have no shame.

"...long hose/bungeed backup configuration..."
What exactly is this?

"...stay away from gimicks like the Aqualung ACD..."
Or the Aqualung Slingshot. :wink: Im pretty sure Ill purchase the Scubapro tommorow.

What exactly is this?

Or the Aqualung Slingshot. :wink: Im pretty sure Ill purchase the Scubapro tommorow.

I think he means that you will have your primary 2nd stage configured with a long hose and your backup will be attached to a necklace ring around your neck. In a case of having to share air, you would give your long hosed primary to your buddy and you would then breath off the bungeed backup. Def. the most comfortable configuration for what would probably be a most uncomfortable situation.

The ACD feature is def. not a gimmick... It does prevent a careless diver from having water enter the 1rst stage and is a nice feature "albeit not needed one"... Not something to stay away from, but again it shouldn't be a factor in your decision.

I love my Legend.. but go with the Scubapro, I would have if it was available to me:wink:

"If its good...for you, why...[not] for your buddy?"
Im thinking the octo is an emergency tool that will be used rarely, if ever, and only for the emergency acent when it is...right? Im kinda looking at a G250V for an octo as having a 22" chrome plated spare tire...instead of the little donut spare. Like its overkill. Im open minded and want to know if theres anything Im not understanding, so have no shame.

What exactly is this?
Your training probably discussed using a primary regulator and an alternate air source. One way to do this is with a primary regulator and an octo.

Another approach is with the bungeed backup, where you would donate the regulator you normally breathe from in an out-of-gas situation and switch to your backup reg (note: different configuration than an octo) that sits bungeed underneath your chin on a 22" hose. A lot of times tech and rec divers put the primary on a 7' or 5' long hose wrapped around the body and behind the neck, some rec divers instead put the primary on a 40" hose (sometimes with a 90 degree elbow) that they route under their right arm.

It sounds different from what you might have seen during your OW training, but its not dissimilar to what people use who have the combination inflator + alternate air sources like the Scubapro Air2, the Atomics SS1, or the Aqualung Airsource3.

Back to the point, since the backup reg in that system would be for you, it doesn't make sense to skimp.

Don't get me wrong, Aqualung and Apeks make some kickarse regs; they also can't resist the urge to also sell some gimmicky crap that you don't need.

In the end, most of us bought a bunch of stuff that we turned around within the first year and sold at a loss, only to get what we should've bought in the first place (but didn't realize it). You'll obviously have to decide for yourself, I'm just trying to make sure people are aware of the choices and what is important and what isn't.

You'll be very happy with that Scubapro reg set, IMO. It'll last you for years and years, and you'll always know your regs are taken care off because you'll be the one responsible for their care, servicing, etc.

HTH

"Your training probably discussed...a primary regulator and an octo"
Yes, its the only configuration I learned. In which case, the octo hangs dangling from your side and scoops up every rock on the bottom. Me, I always try to keep it thrown back up over top of my leg while horizontal.

"Another approach is with the bungeed backup..."
I think I understand, but would you happen to have a photo of this? Sounds like a benifit as I could distrubute the reg quicker and have mine quicker than the way I was trained.

"...put the primary on a 7' or 5' long hose..."
This is one reason I steered away from air integrated BC's...a short hose to breath off of during an emergency.

"...not dissimilar to...the combination inflator + alternate air sources..."
You just lost me. I thoght short was bad?

"...it doesn't make sense to skimp"
You know, for a couple hundred bucks more...I get a regulator that I know will not have frooze or screwed up in anyother way when I need it. Especially, when my buddy is my wife.

"...aware of the choices and what is important and what isn't."
I cant thank you and FrankPro1 enough. I sound like Im more experienced when I go into a dive shop now, thanks in part to you guys.

Nice avatar. One of my favorite places!

You'll be very happy with the MK17/G250V. As far as the octo, I personally would not spend the extra money on another G250V; the R190 (or 295, whatever the current one is) will work just fine. In fact, there is an upside to having an unbalanced downstream octo, at least in an old school-sort-of way. The idea is that if you have a HP seat failure in the first stage, the unbalanced octo will start to freeflow before the balanced primary. This would allow you to comfortably abort the dive on your primary. Since that type of HP seat failure is extremely rare these days, it's more of a curiosity than anything else.

Other options for an octo would be an old G250, bought used, or an even older 109 metal case, also bought used. You could have the 109 upgraded to balanced, or leave it unbalanced. The real problem with this is that you might prefer the older reg and end up abandoning the new pricey G250V to back up use. The R290 will work just fine if you don't want to bother. The advantage of the other choices (and this would include the G250V) is the adjustable feature, which means you can tighten it down for entry/current to prevent freeflows and open it up if you actually have to use it.

The long hose is an often-mentioned option. For open water a 5-6ft primary hose is plenty, closer to 5ft for most people. It is a very comfortable and efficient set up. You can start with it or try it later.

"Nice avatar. One of my favorite places!"
Yeah...but crazy HOT! I could withstand a week in L after a day in Chichen-Itza. I got a terrible sunburn on my back and chest...and I WORE a shirt! :shocked2: LOL

"...the unbalanced octo will start to freeflow before the balanced primary"
When does the balanced primary become effected by the problem? The primary is safe to breath off while the alt is going nuts with free-flow? Ill be diving dirty Kentucky lakes that get pretty cold at depth and then the salty shores of the US, so the cheaper R250V will be ok? I would feel a bit safer with two cherry regs.

Ive narrowed my interests to purchasing either of these setups. Im requesting the expertise of you folks to ensure thats my best selection. Im also open to other makes/models...so long as my LDS's sell them.

A little about myself and diving intentions:
Im a 6'2" 28 year old male weighing 200pds with no body fat. Lung functioning is normal. I tend to take deep slow breaths underwater. I intend to dive inland fresh waters of my residential state of KY. Saltwaters of the US coastal region and Carribean. Well...lets be honest, wherever I can dive, Ill dive. I currently hold an OW SSI certification, but plan to increase that knowledge to Nitrox, wreck, etc. I also intend on purchasing a steel HP100 tank.

Although Im financially comfortable, Im NOT wealthy. I dont feel like drowning, so I dont intend to settle for whats "good for the money". I want something that I wont die with. I can save up and purchase another day if need be.
The above two items (1st & 2nd stages) are sold together as a pcakage deal for $540.00
This next option Im going to present is going to be from a different store:
Thank you so much!

PS: I lean towards the Scubapro, especially after seeing all those stickie threads on Aqua~Lung recalls.

Most Reg companys have recalls from time to time and scubapro has had some.
Recall is a good thing because it shows that the company is on top of there product and wants it to be safe.
I have Scubapro and Oceanic I think both are very good regs and i believe Aqualung and Apex are also good regs.
in this case just get the one your Gut tells you to get.

"Nice avatar. One of my favorite places!"
Yeah...but crazy HOT! I could withstand a week in L after a day in Chichen-Itza. I got a terrible sunburn on my back and chest...and I WORE a shirt! :shocked2: LOL

"...the unbalanced octo will start to freeflow before the balanced primary"
When does the balanced primary become effected by the problem? The primary is safe to breath off while the alt is going nuts with free-flow? Ill be diving dirty Kentucky lakes that get pretty cold at depth and then the salty shores of the US, so the cheaper R250V will be ok? I would feel a bit safer with two cherry regs.

Don't confuse safety and price; they usually have almost nothing to do with each other. The R290 is every bit as safe as the G250V, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

The bit about the unbalanced 2nd stage flowing before the balanced one in the event of a 1st stage failure is not a big deal, but could be considered additional safety. Just remember that HP seat failure is VERY RARE these days. When it happens, it sends much higher pressure to the 2nd stages and LP inflator. This higher pressure forces the stages open, hence the freeflow. Balanced 2nds take some of the pressure from the 1st stage and redirect it to "balance" against the downstream pressure. This allows the stage to tolerate variances in pressure from the 1st stage, but also means that the rise in pressure will not open them as quickly.

One thing you would like to avoid in this rare case of HP seat failure is uncontrolled flow into your LP inflator, which would immediately fill your BC and send you up fast. You'd have to disconnect the inflator hose and dump air from your BC very quickly. The old school theory is that having an unbalanced octo helps to prevent this because the octo flowing will relieve pressure on the inflator valve.

I emphasize that this is a rare event.

As far as the R290 being up to the conditions you're diving in, please try to remember that a few decades ago professional divers were routinely diving to extreme depths in very hazardous conditions with regulators that many of today's gear-head divers wouldn't take in the pool.

....even older 109 metal case, also bought used. You could have the 109 upgraded to balanced, or leave it unbalanced. The real problem with this is that you might prefer the older reg and end up abandoning the new pricey G250V ....

:no: Stop giving away all the secrets. :wink:

Charged: "I could withstand a week in L after a day in Chichen-Itza."

he he... you should have seen my limey wife and blue/white children after trekking around those grounds in June last year.

Good luck with your purchases and keep us updated on how it works out for you.

c

I just bought a Mk25/G250V.

I'd be happy diving either of your choices, but I lean to SP.

If I were diving cold water, it'd be a Mk17/G250V. But the coldest I'm likely to see is maybe 52 & that rarely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom