Really Bad Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

without a doubt apeks regs are phenomenal, also i used to have a cressi ellipse which was right up there too, great quality regs

The only regulator I've ever had that could be called a "bad regulator" was the Aqualung LPO octopus. Even if adjusted so that the cracking pressure was near zero, it was still breathed very hard. The work of breathing was just way too high, particularly if someone were panicked and trying to breathe huge amounts of air.

I own Scubapro, Apeks, Mares and OMS and all have performed just fine, though I have only used the OMS at < 30ft.

Thanks for all the replies!

I think I'll be happy (breathing and peace of mind wise) with any of the regs i've been looking at... but that brings up a new set of questions...

Do more expensive regs cost more to maintain/get serviced? and do they last longer?

thanks in advance!

-John Ohm

I'd stay away from any regs claiming to know where the WMDs are --those would definately be bad regulators.

(Or was that bad intelligence?)

:D

J

scubajohn921:
without a doubt apeks regs are phenomenal, also i used to have a cressi ellipse which was right up there too, great quality regs

Relative to what?

In the end - I bought Zeagle because they have a big "Z" on the purge cover. Guess who has a name starting with Z? Yes.. there are so many good regs out there, that this tiny little detail is what swayed me.

All regs should cost about the same to service. The caveat is some offer free parts for life with service!!
The most important consideration should be service from your local dive shop.
Quality wise - most companies make a good -better - best reg. Unless you "deep dive" or work underwater for a living you will not realize the differences.
"Easy breathing" is a reference to ease of breathing when exerted with the ability to not free flow at the same time.
I personally dive an Apeks ATX 200, girlfriend dives a Mares Abyss. We dive 75 - 130ft. air /nitrox almost daily. They work fine. We work & dive with others who use Scubapro, they like theirs.
Don't be too influenced by hype an people without actual experience. Your regulator is the single most important piece of equiptment - your life depends on it.

I stay away from new models. Many of the manufacturers have had a bomb or two, but they get removed from their lineup after a few years, or fixed.

Back
Top Bottom