Reappearing River cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent. Thanks for sharing. Love the music. Do you think ATV's would have been able to handle the trails and help out with the carrying of gear?

The trail is too small for an ATV to get from the parking area to the gearing up area. For the most part it is only a couple of feet wide.

vids like that make me want to learn more... thank god you kept the hiking part in the video... that tempers the desire!!!

did you ever have to go onto your stage bottles? Looked like one of the divers was using 50% with another mix and the other was diving O2 and maybe a 40% mix. Is this correct? I'm interested. how deep is the cave?

great video! i wish i was making videos like that. i'm not there yet.

did you ever have to go onto your stage bottles? Looked like one of the divers was using 50% with another mix and the other was diving O2 and maybe a 40% mix. Is this correct? I'm interested. how deep is the cave?

great video! i wish i was making videos like that. i'm not there yet.

No we never went to our stages or deco cylinders. We brought waaaayyyy too much stuff in with us because we didn't know what to expect. For the most part the cave is a cavern (air above the water). There were only 4 short sumps that actually required scuba gear to get past. The deepest depth was ~30'. We were diving 32% in our backmounted 80s.

The dive that I brought the camera in for was our last dive and was a cleanup dive where we brought back the cylinders we had brought and left in the cave the previous 2 days.That's why the divers are carrying all those cylinders. Next year when we go back we will be using pretty much 80s and 40s sidemounted with nothing backmounted until we get to the deep area where we will switch to rebreathers. We figure it will take about 2 or 3 days to get the gear to that area with one of those days just spent hiking gear from one end of the 3rd portage inside to the other (this portage is about 110m long and is the last major obstacle to getting to the deeper stuff).

Great video Brian. If I want a little more adventure I know where to go. Just not sure I can walk with my doubles that far, might have to get myself a mule. Would be nice not have to pay the airfare to Mexico to dive caves. I look forward to watching and hearing about the rest of your exploration of this and other caves here on the island.

That was awesome. Thanks for posting.

My buddy and I have been looking at our four Al80's we each have and thinking if we swapped them for a pair of steels we could dive doubles. Then I think about the stage bottles, bigger pony than the one I use now, extra computer and reg sets, training, and somewhere to train that I like diving deep near here. Oh well, maybe one day.

Thanks again for the virtual dive.

Brian, do you have a better image of the cave cross section at the start of your video? I'm curious about the depths and lengths of the sumps before the big portage and how far in (linear) it is. (basically the top section on the page).

Brian, do you have a better image of the cave cross section at the start of your video? I'm curious about the depths and lengths of the sumps before the big portage and how far in (linear) it is. (basically the top section on the page).

Let's see if this works

Attachments

• rr.jpg
    rr.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 80
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom