Reasons to take a propulsion/trim/buoyancy class...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, the first key to good horizontal trim is posture - head up, straight line from shoulders to knees. Look at THIS article.

But beyond that, physics is inexorable. If the diver's gear is sufficiently imbalanced, it will be impossible to hold horizontal trim while motionless, no matter how one positions the limbs. But even with a jacket and a weight belt, it is often possible to move weight onto the cambands, or wrap a tank weight around the neck of the tank, if the problem is too much weight too low down (as it often is). If you are unable or unwilling to change ANYTHING, then you're stuck with what you have.

I use a bungee weight system to redistribute weights when there are no other options.

WeightBungee_1.JPG

Mind you , I've never had a student in a poodle hacket. Most are pretty serious about Scuba and invest in the gear that will help them get there.

I use a bungee weight system to redistribute weights when there are no other options.

WeightBungee_1.JPG

Mind you , I've never had a student in a poodle hacket. Most are pretty serious about Scuba and invest in the gear that will help them get there.

Where would you attach the weights? Looks like that one is attached to a shoulder strap. I presume you'd still need at least some weights that were easy to ditch.

You indicated that you had a weight belt. You only need a minimal amount of weight to dump and most divers are foot heavy. It's best to distribute the weight so that you can get horizontal.

The bungees allow me to put the weights wherever I want them. Shoulder straps, cam belts, tank valves and so forth are all candidates for weight. Getting the student horizontal is the very first step in the process. Until you are flat, you can't stop hand sculling.

Do you have to be horizontal to be neutrally buoyant?
To stay neutrally buoyant, yes. It's all about opposing forces: ying and yang.

If your legs are below your head, your kicking propels you up as well as forward. In order to stay neutral, you have to make yourself negative. Once you stop kicking, you lose that upward momentum and so you have to add air or scull. Once you start kicking again, you have to get negative again to compensate for the upward thrust.

If your legs are below your head, your kicking propels you up as well as forward. In order to stay neutral, you have to make yourself negative. Once you stop kicking, you lose that upward momentum and so you have to add air or scull. Once you start kicking again, you have to get negative again to compensate for the upward thrust.

Correction: to stay neutrally buoyant WHILE FINNING.

If I am stopped, I can easily be neutrally buoyant in a vertical position - in any position.

Might read as a bit picky, but I think that the distinction is important. There is nothing wrong with going vertical / upside down / in ANY position when convenient and it is entirely possible to be neutral while doing so.

I'm not sure whether people become negatively buoyant to compensate for not being horizontal when they fin or they add a vertical component of thrust to their finning to compensate for being negatively buoyant. I suspect it is the latter. Either way, if you are over-weighted and not neutrally buoyant once you stop finning you will start sink. You either have to start finning again or start sculling with your hands.

I see this occasionally when diving on the charter boat. The finning motion looks a bit like riding a bike. The simple solution is to add air to your BCD rather than finning upward and get in the horizontal position when you are moving.

You don't have to be horizontal to achieve neutral buoyancy when you are stationary. People often hang vertically in the water during their safety stop. Photographers often have a non horizontal trim when shooting photos.

Two major forces affect your trim and buoyancy. One is the force of gravity that pulls you down and can be thought to act through your centre of gravity or centre of mass. The other is the buoyancy force that pushes you up and can be thought to act through your centre of buoyancy or your centre of volume. If the two forces are equal you will be neutrally buoyant in the water.

If the two forces are equal but not aligned then while you won't sink, you will rotate until the centre of gravity and centre of buoyancy are vertically aligned. Often the centre of gravity is further toward the feet than the centre of buoyancy so divers rotate so their feet fall and their head is raised. You can vary the position of your centre of mass by adding or moving weights to different locations on your body, by adjusting the position of your tank or by moving your arms and legs in and out. Similarly you can vary the position of your centre of buoyancy by moving your arms and legs in and out or by varying the volume of air in your lungs. There are a number of different body orientations and shapes that will result in the two forces being aligned.

If the two forces are not equal but aligned you sink or float but won't rotate.

I find cranking my head forward while horizontal uncomfortable and I tend to use more air. If I'm stationary I'm normally looking at something or for someone so I like to have my trim adjusted so that my body is say 30-45 degrees to the horizontal and my lower legs are bent upward. Once you are neutrally buoyant it takes little effort to kick off and remain horizontal as you fin forward.

Back
Top Bottom