Rebel XSi worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorCaldvr

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for a Digital camera (first one) for underwater as well as above and would like some opinions about the Rebel XSi. Is there a housing available? Would this be a good camera for someone who knows very little about photography but would like to have a camera that I can grow into. Thank you in advance.

Mike

NorCaldvr,

The Canon Rebel XSi is a little rocket. I have two bodies......Saved money and spent more on decent glass (lenses) for above and below.

Samples from two weeks ago. Ikelite Housing, DS125 strobes and Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye, Canon 18-55mm IS (kit lens!) and Canon 70-200mm F4 L.

Enjoy!

David Haas
David Haas Underwater Photography

Attachments

• IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0177.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2129.jpg
    IMG_2129.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2474.jpg
    IMG_2474.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2871.jpg
    IMG_2871.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 38
  • GreatWhiteHeadOn.jpg
    GreatWhiteHeadOn.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 42
  • MVAndreaLynn.jpg
    MVAndreaLynn.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 38
Yes, this is a fabulous camera. Yes, there are housings available. Yes, it will give you plenty of room to grow.

Now, should you buy it for underwater use...maybe. There are a lot of things to consider other than just the body. There are a couple of very good threads linked from the sticky - get there via the pink link in my sig or at the top of the UW photo area - that talk about moving to dslr underwater, all of the various things you will need as well as some very nice alternatives if you decide dslr is not the way for you right now underwater.

Welcome to the never ending quest for one more bit of gear :)

To reiterate alcina's post; yes it is a great camera, and yes there is a housing for it.

But, you say it is your first foray into underwater photography. Whilst dSLR is clearly an excellent choice, using one underwater is a little more complex than a point-and-shoot. For this reason, I went with a decent 'lower-end' camera. I use a Canon Powershot G9. It has a range of housings available (I use the Ikelite), is 12MP and will shoot RAW (which basically means that white balance, etc. can be post-processed).

By all means buy a 450D (the non-US name for XSi!) too, for surface use! But I would not take it underwater unti you have mastered it.... Just my few cents.

Last edited:
I thank all of you for your input and honesty. I agree that the Rebel may be a bit over my head for starting out in underwater photo's. I was also considering the sd 870 but then the Rebel caught my eye and delusions of grandure filled my head.
Thank you again

I've been taking underwater photos with a Canon SD800 SI for about 1 1/2 yrs now and I just ordered the XSi. I'm going to learn how to use the camera on land and then get the housing sometime next year. I can't wait to get it underwater though!

I used to use a point and shoot and then finally got a housing for my canon rebel. The only problem is that the housing is *HUGE*. The pics are much better, but it took a few dives to get used to working the controls and shooting manual underwater vs. the button on the point and shoot.

I wish I would have saved my money and just got the housing for the DSLR. I look back at my older pics and shake my head at the quality.

I used to use a point and shoot and then finally got a housing for my canon rebel. The only problem is that the housing is *HUGE*. The pics are much better, but it took a few dives to get used to working the controls and shooting manual underwater vs. the button on the point and shoot.

I wish I would have saved my money and just got the housing for the DSLR. I look back at my older pics and shake my head at the quality.

I was really new to diving when I got my PnS, so I'm happy I started with that one first. I know I'll shake my head at my current shots as soon as I start using my DSLR underwater but it's also good to see the progression when I look at some of my first shots. The learning process is fun and I have a long way to go. :D

I recently purchased a DSLR (Nikon) and have been an underwater (film) very amatuer diver before. I bought a digital point & shoot for my first digital. I couldn't get processing on the boats anymore. That was a mistake. The shutter lag KILLS so many shots. Yes, you can press the shutter part way but underwater, nothing is static.

I'd advise going with the DSLR first. You will be wasting your money with anything less. Yes - it's more work. I'm now jamming a bunch of info in my brain. I sure wish I had started this way.

michelle was there on one of my first dives with the DSLR housings. I was descending and the arms got tangled in kelp. I got all twisted around and ended up turtled on the bottom. Very embarrassing. I'm sure the group I was with was thinking "what a terrible diver".

Yep--That shutter lag is a killer on the point and shoots. I have lots of pictures of fish butts and blurry scenes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom