Rebel XSi worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michelle was there on one of my first dives with the DSLR housings. I was descending and the arms got tangled in kelp. I got all twisted around and ended up turtled on the bottom. Very embarrassing. I'm sure the group I was with was thinking "what a terrible diver".

Yep--That shutter lag is a killer on the point and shoots. I have lots of pictures of fish butts and blurry scenes.

Nah, we just figured you were having a bad day. :wink:

I have plenty of fish butt and blurry shots because of shutter lag with my PnS. I had a great plan to learn the new camera first and I haven't even got it yet, but I'm already trying to figure out ways to come up with the cash for the housing and strobes. :eyebrow:

Thank you Michelle for your advice. We seem to always miss each other at North Coast dive events. I hope to meet you in person some day. Thank you all for your input. I think I will go with the rebel (nothing like a chalenge I always say!) There is a good deal at costco right now on the rebel.

Thank you Michelle for your advice. We seem to always miss each other at North Coast dive events. I hope to meet you in person some day. Thank you all for your input. I think I will go with the rebel (nothing like a chalenge I always say!) There is a good deal at costco right now on the rebel.

Yes, I'd like to meet you in person some day too. I'm sure we will. :D

The Costco deal is exactly what I ordered. I ordered it online Sun evening and I'm picking it up at UPS today! They offer a 2 yr warranty and free tech/warranty support too. Great deal! I'll let you know what I think when I get to know it a little.

I as well went ahead and bought the rebel last night. I will spent some time taking pictures of my children playing their sports. Hopefully I will be able to aford the housing for a christmas present to myself. Any sugestions on a photography for dumies book?:D

I as well went ahead and bought the rebel last night. I will spent some time taking pictures of my children playing their sports. Hopefully I will be able to aford the housing for a christmas present to myself. Any sugestions on a photography for dumies book?:D

Congrats! I got mine yesterday and have been taking lots of pics of my daughter and the pets. :wink: I have a lot to learn!

I know a really good underwater photographer who is starting a class in Rohnert Park soon. Let me know if you'd be interested.

Hah. I wrote out a long post before clicking to page 2 and seeing you bought the camera. Congrats!

I have a rebel XTi and am considering an upgrade in the near future to a bigger body. Nice purchase, you'll love it!

Personally I've yet to sink my money into the housing and don't plan to so in the near future. Why? Well for one thing there's the cost, for another there's the size. Before I got my rebel I had a u/w rig and I still use it and like it (just a basic powershot with a basic canon housing). It does the trick for me and until I master u/w photography I don't see putting the money into a housing. I've seen what you can get with a p&s and I'm impressed.

Still I think the dSLRs are awesome for underwater and if you're gonna take the plunge power to you. I'd just encourage you to borrow a friend's rig first to see how you like diving with it and compare it to a smaller p&s setup to see if you may want to start a little lower and work your way up after you get the basics down; heck I'd bet you could even borrow someone's camera for a few dives first just to get the hang of things. That way when you do buy the housing and start accessory shopping you'll know what fits your style.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom