Rebreather DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That makes sense. Thank you.
Yes, Spectre asked my next question.

Spectre:
I understand the config, and I understand you can just toss the breathing loop back over your shoulder to go to open circuit, unclip the primary and you're switched over. But if your buddy has an OOG emergency what's the procedure? You obviously can't deploy the long hose, since it's clipped off as well as locked by the breathing loop. Is it that they always will have had to bail to OC anyway? When one buddy bails to OC, do they both [so the long hose is ready for deployment?]

MHK:
My sense is that was before the habitats were put in, but I couldn't say for certain. I do seem to remember something along those lines but that was before my time, perhaps if Chickdiver is following this thread she can comment.

The other thing to consider, is that using a FFM isn't necessarily a death sentance at 20'. The concern many of us have with using FFM's during the dive portion of the dive is that if you start working harder, swimming against currents, or as many do breath the wrong gas at depth, you start adding to what can accumulate C02. Whereas when you juxtapose that agaisnt using a FFM while resting at deco at 20' you can see that the possibility for C02 retention is greater at depth while working versus resting at 20'..

Hope that helps..

Later

Mike,
You were a little off base on this one. FFM are used by some during some of the extremely long decompressions. They are used in the decompression phase only- and it done so to lower the risk of drowning in the event of a toxicity induced seizure, an event we have yet to experience, but nonetheless have protocols in place for. We have looked very closely at the new Kirby-Morgan model that has a separate naso-pharyngeal section, and allows the quick and easy removal of the regulator section for gas changes. Hope that clarifies some issues.

Heather:
How does the FFM proceedure work out with the air breaks, I would think switching back and fourth from OC to FFM would be a PIA. Im just wondering since Im a ocean diver and dont spend nearly the time you cave divers do on O2.
Thanks for the info.

Ron

The Kirby Morgan mask allows for the bottom portion (attached to the reg) to be removed without flooding the mask, you simply remoe it and use another reg. Its also been done with SCUBAPRO FFM, which is slightly more of a PIT because when you remove the reg (even if you just pull it out and put another in ) you flood the mask. This isn't something everybody- or even a lot of people are doing, only the smallest handful, and they have a support diver at their side when gas changes take place.

I don't know enough about being locked by the breathing loop, but this is the only long hose config where GI advocates break aways should be used. OC long hose configs are now supposed to be tied with cave line from that latest reports and teachings I have heard. My info comes directly from David Rhea during my Cave 2 class. Someone in the know correct me if I have misunderstood any of this.

Spectre:
You obviously can't deploy the long hose, since it's clipped off as well as locked by the breathing loop.]

Dan Gibson:
I don't know enough about being locked by the breathing loop, but this is the only long hose config where GI advocates break aways should be used. OC long hose configs are now supposed to be tied with cave line from that latest reports and teachings I have heard. My info comes directly from David Rhea during my Cave 2 class. Someone in the know correct me if I have misunderstood any of this.

What I am referring to is that the long hose is rigged like normal, and then the double hose rebreather loop comes down over the head, with the long hose going around the back of the neck underneath the loop. So if you were to try and deploy it out, the hoses from the RB breathing loop get in the way.

As pointed out via PM, the two solutions are in a dire emergency, to have them get a breath off the long hose while still attached, then switch to OC and deploy. [if I am interpreting the message correctly]

For those not following the config, this might help:

http://www.gue.com/research/wkpp/gallery/rda_breather04_99.shtml

Where you can clearly see the bungied backup, the primary around the back of the neck clipped off, and the breathing loop over the head and in use.

Great point you are making with that picture. It appears that the error may be compunded because the bungied 2ndary is beneath the longhose and the loop as well. Perhaps deployment of the long hose would be slowed but there is no way around it?

Spectre:
What I am referring to is that the long hose is rigged like normal, and then the double hose rebreather loop comes down over the head, with the long hose going around the back of the neck underneath the loop. So if you were to try and deploy it out, the hoses from the RB breathing loop get in the way.

As pointed out via PM, the two solutions are in a dire emergency, to have them get a breath off the long hose while still attached, then switch to OC and deploy. [if I am interpreting the message correctly]

For those not following the config, this might help:

http://www.gue.com/research/wkpp/gallery/rda_breather04_99.shtml

Where you can clearly see the bungied backup, the primary around the back of the neck clipped off, and the breathing loop over the head and in use.

chickdiver:
. This isn't something everybody- or even a lot of people are doing, only the smallest handful, and they have a support diver at their side when gas changes take place.
Heather:
This is what I thought regarding having a safty diver at the ready. Thanks for all the clarification.

Ron

bmuise:
It appears that the error may be compunded because the bungied 2ndary is beneath the longhose and the loop as well.

That shouldn't be a problem. It's a problem if it's above the long hose, since it will get in the way on deployment. If the bungied backup was above the long hose, then the long hose is going to hang up on it on deployment. It's below, so not an issue.

I like your tag line Salty-
I dive With rebreathers when I have to- I try to keep it simple as possible- I ditched the BC and modified the breather so that I could put my wings on and a back plate- But it is sooo Bulky and un-steamed that one can not call it DIR- Now if you are diving with a team of ReBreathers and you have an outline/ proceedures - then maybe- I dont really know where I stand on it all... It just is what it is... I guess I would say that I would not mix the to--- I mean two dive Buddies- one has a REbreather - one OC-- Bad MIX! I know that for a fact!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom