rebreather help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadiver56

Reaction score
hi i am still getting myopen water cert but i am sure where i will go afterwerds i will gain some exp but when i do i am going to take training for and get a rebreather should i get scr or a ccr how muc do the cheap of each cost and how much wood moderaatly good ones cost

My personal suggestion is enjoy O/C for awhile. Get some dives in before even thinking of going the rebreather route. But if you do IMop I would go CCR so you can go heliox later. I have an Inspiration and love it. Price with proper training runs around 9,000.00-10,000.00. But as I said enjoy O/C and and that maybe the course you may run as rebreathers aren't for everyone.

Good Diving:D

scubadiver56:
hi i am still getting myopen water cert but i am sure where i will go afterwerds i will gain some exp but when i do i am going to take training for and get a rebreather should i get scr or a ccr how muc do the cheap of each cost and how much wood moderaatly good ones cost
Diving a rebreather takes a lot more attention to detail and training than diving OC. Besides the training the initial cost is greater.
The 2 main types of rebreathers used by the recreational divers are semi closed (Dreager Dolphin being the most common) and closed circuit (CCR) A used dolphin can be bought for less than $2000 on ebay but will probably require service and a ppo2 monitor so will end up being closer to $3000 by the time you are done. It will also require you to dive with set nitrox mixtures from 60% - 32% and you will be limited to operating depths for those particular nitrox mixes. Also SCR does not give to the decompression (or NDL) benefit that CCR does. Training for the dolphin is usually around $500
A CCR unit can range from $4,500 for a sport KISS to $15,000 for an Oroborus. Training is usually more like $1,200 - 1,500 due to the added complexity. The main advantage is true bubbless diving with huge gas savings and noticable extended NDL.
I have trained and dived on the dolphin, kiss, inspiration and the megalodon and hands down the meg is my preferred rebreather but expect to pay $10,000 for a fully operational unit by the time you are trained.
If you are unsure of whether RBs are in your future I would suggest buying a dolphin and diving SCR for a while, but since you seem certain rebreathers are the way you want to go I would decide what you plan to spend (then add 50%) and buy the best unit for what you want to do with it.
Perhaps if you can describe your diving goals I could give more detailed answer to your question.
I think RBs are the future of diving and I don't think you will be disappointed you went that direction.

u ask for specifics i will be taking caveren,cave,wreck,drysuit,heliox,nitrox and trimix. not in this order not including rebreather

Closed circuit rebreathers are for us knuckleheads who've been diving so long, we've grown bored of the regular equipment and decided to pimp our gear.

scubadiver56:
u ask for specifics i will be taking caveren,cave,wreck,drysuit,heliox,nitrox and trimix. not in this order not including rebreather
The normal progression would be Advanced, Rescue and Nitrox and Advanced Nitrox certifications, all of which are requirements for CCR training. Minimum number of dives is usually 50, though you'll have to be very comfortable and have all the OC basics down to start CCR training. Any half way decent CCR instructor will check your skills and send you packing if you don't. There is much to learn in a CCR class, both knowledge and skills, and you really don't want to buy the ticket. Your life depends on the training.

When to do trimix is a hotly debated issue, there are two trains of thought:
Do it OC and get those skills and all the related theory down before you go CC, or do it CC and save yourself time and money in the process. Plenty of threads here that elaborate on that subject.

The same goes for wreck and cave training, some prefer to do it on OC, get the experience first and then switch to a rebreather when they need one. Others prfer to dive the rebreather first, gain all their experience on them before heading into overhead environs. More or less the same pros and cons apply to the discussions.

Most any CCR can be found in the places you want to dive, caves and wrecks.
From the manually controlled Classic Kiss to the high end Ouroboros. Personally I think having the ability to at least partially recover the loop and having a HUD display for the units status are 'must have' items for that sort of diving.

Megalodon, PRISM, Optima, Hammerheaded Inspirations, Vision equiped AP units, Ouroboros and some MK15/15.5 do, the manual Kisses and most SCRs don't.

In addition to the other advantages of CCRs over SCRs mentioned above I would prefer a CCR in those environs, with maybe the Halcyon RB80 being the exception if you choose the DIR route.

Either way, take your time, make sure your skill level and state of mind is right for the equipment and the environs you choose to dive. Moving too fast too far above one's skills has cost a lot of lifes over the years.

Back
Top Bottom