Rebuild a Conshelf XIV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just one more reason to look at Deep6...
The owner of Deep6 was instrumental in the develpment of the regulators and and other items in the Edge-HOG line. However he decided to go out on his own and has developed a very good well known brand. This forum along with their good customer service has allowed their new brand to grow as well as survive. However they still do not have as many products for a small dealer/retailer to offer as Edge-HOG to offer to their students and customers. Also their business models are different. Edge-HOG uses more of a traditional distributor retailer relationship whereas Deep6 is more a affiliate marketing relationship with a direct to consumer purchasing strategy. Nothing wrong with either model just different.

I own equipment from both brands and pleased with pretty much all my purchases from either. Deep6 IMO does not have better service than Edge-HOG. That's because it all depends where you are getting your equipment from Edge-HOG!

The Excursion does everything that the Conshelf does. A hair more IP spread from full to empty tank, but inexpensive and easy to service like the Conshelf.
I have not yet taken apart my Deep6 Excursion first stage but I would be surprised if it is not the same regulator as the HOG D2. I just wished HOG offered it with yoke as well. Both of them are good quality first stages with an excellent price point.

It’s interesting to see how this thread has developed, both the info about the C 14 and it’s use and history and all the thread drift in different directions.
I notice that over a decade ago this board had separate fora opened up for the various manufacturers, but that Aqua Lung had only a couple of responses early on. Their last “official” response seems to have come about 2011.

I wonder if anyone here with better connections in the industry than I have could reach out to the folks at AL and ask whether the things we’re hearing about their withdrawing support for the Conshelf series is a reality, and if so , why? I would hate to be slinging mud unfairly at this venerable old company that has been such a big part of our sport since it’s inception.

it would appear that they are trying to force the sport diving segment of their customer base to abandon a line of equipment we’ve been using for decades while continuing to provide the selfsame equipment to the military and professIona segments. If this is indeed the case, it would appear that at least some explanation would be in order.

🐸

Please.... get your facts before posting. First Divers Supply is a seperate entity from EDGE-HOG that happens to share the same warehouse. There are some owners involved in both companies but EDGE-HOG is expected and run to stand on its own. Do they source from the same manufacture? But like its been dicussed many times on this board most dive gear is sourced form just a few manufacturers. I always found it fun to see how many times I would see the exact same mask, fin, BCD and even regulators at a dive show just with a different manufacturers name on it. If you have ever been to DEMA then you can even see those manufacturers lines without the brand name you are familiar with.

Second is up to the individual dealer/retailers to decide if they want to sell sevice kits and parts. Edge-HOG is not preventing this. From what I understand just like many manufacturers you cannot buy anything on the website you need to find a dealer/retailer to purchase. As far as Divers Supply not having parts on their website I am not sure why that is but it is their decision not Edge-HOG. Dive Right In Scuba is selling service kits and second stage diaphrams as well as a few other items for repair. It is a lot of work to get items added to online store and maitain the updated inventory. As a small dealer myself there is no way I would get involved in selling parts but I do try to maintain an inventory of service kits for my customers. I gladly would sell parts and service kits to anyone who needs one just understand that there are no returns as I have no idea of your technical ability and I inspect the kits and parts before I send them.

LOL!!!

-Z

I just received in the mail today Conshelf XIV service kits from both Amron International and a place called Silent Explorers. The Amron kits are OEM Aqua Lung and the Silent Explorers kits are aftermarket put together kits. Anyone have any experience with Silent Explorers? Nonetheless, I will be sending out a reg or two to @rsingler until I feel comfortable servicing one myself. But, alas, parts are available to keep the Conshelfs going for some time.

I just received in the mail today Conshelf XIV service kits from both Amron International and a place called Silent Explorers. The Amron kits are OEM Aqua Lung and the Silent Explorers kits are aftermarket put together kits. Anyone have any experience with Silent Explorers? Nonetheless, I will be sending out a reg or two to @rslingers until I feel comfortable servicing one myself. But, alas, parts are available to keep the Conshelfs going for some time.
I am glad to see Amron sell you the kits as I thought they were only selling to certified commercial divers. I have bought many things from Silent Explorers and have not been disappointed yet.

Build your own service kit:
820120 DIN O-ring: 2-112 Duro 90 your choice of material
119129 Bal Chbr B/U ring: 2-006 dished B/U ring - TheOringStore,LLC N8-90-006
820094 DIN adapter: 2.64x12.30 ISO3601 B0100 oring your choice
957004 HP Port o-ring: 2-012 Duro 90 your choice of material
820011 LP Port o-ring: 2-011 Duro 70 your choice of material
105106 Filter: Trident AA71
845095 Filter Washer: McMaster ring shim 91192A160
105940 HP Seat: Scubagaskets 124624
820080 HP Seat shaft: 2-006 Duro 90 oring your choice of material
103429 Diaphragm (new): 35x1.5mm Scubagaskets 119159
103429 Diaphragm (old) 35x2.4mm - unknown
821026 Thrust Washer: Trident A117
863051 Filter Circlip (inner): McMaster 91580A151
861068 Yoke Circlip (outer): McMaster 91590A127 - an 11/16" inverted external ring is original, but
I can't find it in Stainless. Huyett SHI-068-SS is probably it.
820014 DIN Kit: Unknown

If you have a yoke reg - no problem
If you have an old DIN with the adapter - let us know about 820014 oring size.
Thanks so much for this. Do you have one for the second stage as well?

I shouldn't pick on HOG, but I'm going to anyway.
Any time a manufacturer's website posts an advertising shot of a sealed diaphragm with a bulging environmental seal, I know that they haven't quite got their technical act together.
HOG_D2.png

If your environmental seal isn't concave when it's unpressurized, there's an air bubble there that has to be compressed on descent before the IP begins reacting to depth. Is it significant? Not much. I see cattle boats with bulging seals by the dozen. Maybe 5-20 feet loss of sensitivity - nothing a balanced second stage can't handle.

But if the manufacturer doesn't know to show a properly set up reg, I think I'll buy from someone else...

Jes sayin'. Maybe it was a cheap shot on my part, but I'm picky.

Thanks so much for this. Do you have one for the second stage as well?
That one's easy:
#108510 - Flat seat - Get a 9/32" hole punch and some 2mm 70 duro Nitrile sheet rubber from McMaster Carr (#86495K44 - 70). Punch a seat yourself for pennies,
20230327_154020.jpg

instead of $4 each from Northeast Scuba, Coral Sea Scuba or Trident.
#102510 - Nyloc nut - 5-40 thread 18-8 Stainless: McMaster-Carr 91831A006
#820014 o-ring 2-014 duro 70
And if you have a newer metal or plastic second with a plug on the other side from the hose?
#957025 o-ring 2-013 duro 70.
20230327_152835.jpg

That's it. Cost? About 18 cents retail.

OK, while we’re discussing parts acquisition, is there a good source for a replacement T exhaust for the Aqua Lung 1085 second stage? I just noticed the crack in my Aquarius “T” that’s not disabling, but not pretty! As I understand it, they don’t get changed that often and what’s available now is different from the old style that’s currently installed.
🐸

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom