Rebuild a Conshelf XIV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fo
OK, while we’re discussing parts acquisition, is there a good source for a replacement T exhaust for the Aqua Lung 1085 second stage? I just noticed the crack in my Aquarius “T” that’s not disabling, but not pretty! As I understand it, they don’t get changed that often and what’s available now is different from the old style that’s currently installed.
🐸
For the press on T's, the newer swept ones off the Conshelf 14 (as opposed to XIV) fits. It's also the same as the first generation plastic Conshelf seconds.
For early screw on T's I 3d print functional (not identical) ones.

On my metal 1085’s some of them are screw on Exhaust T’s and some are push on. The mouthpiece angle to body is slightly pitched a few degrees turning the reg body up a bit on the push on T style, as opposed to the screw on T model where the mouth piece runs pretty much straight into the body or in other words a 90 angle to the body. Is the push on T model later? When was the switch?
Also, is the exhaust hole bigger on the push on style?
I have not pulled off any of the push on T’s yet to see. I have a little collection of these 2nd stages that have snuck into my shop and I think they are cool as hell. Probably better than 109’s only because they’re super simple and easier to keep alive. Scubapro has that rubber diaphragm purge cover that always turns crispy with time.
Thanks

I shouldn't pick on HOG, but I'm going to anyway.
Any time a manufacturer's website posts an advertising shot of a sealed diaphragm with a bulging environmental seal, I know that they haven't quite got their technical act together.
View attachment 776362
If your environmental seal isn't concave when it's unpressurized, there's an air bubble there that has to be compressed on descent before the IP begins reacting to depth. Is it significant? Not much. I see cattle boats with bulging seals by the dozen. Maybe 5-20 feet loss of sensitivity - nothing a balanced second stage can't handle.

But if the manufacturer doesn't know to show a properly set up reg, I think I'll buy from someone else...

Jes sayin'. Maybe it was a cheap shot on my part, but I'm picky.
I am pretty sure that picture has been around since Chris designed and marketed the first stage. But I do agree with you it should be updated with a better picture. I bought my first D2 used about seven years ago. I rebuilt it with Jim Lapenta in class within a couple months and it just this past fall started creeping, nothing crazy but enough to put it aside for a rebuild. However I do have some Conshelfs that have gone longer than that but I do not have faith that newer Aqualung products will be as durable as my Connie's.

That one's easy:
#108510 - Flat seat - Get a 9/32" hole punch and some 2mm 70 duro Nitrile sheet rubber from McMaster Carr (#86495K44 - 70). Punch a seat yourself for pennies,
View attachment 776366
instead of $4 each from Northeast Scuba, Coral Sea Scuba or Trident.
#102510 - Nyloc nut - 5-40 thread 18-8 Stainless: McMaster-Carr 91831A006
#820014 o-ring 2-014 duro 70
And if you have a newer metal or plastic second with a plug on the other side from the hose?
#957025 o-ring 2-013 duro 70.
View attachment 776365
That's it. Cost? About 18 cents retail.
Thanks Rob do you know which exhaust valve from Trident is used?

Okay. I don't want to hijack a thread I've been involved in on the Conshelfs but someone had to go mention a 109. So, here's the pick of my daughter in her 1977 Scubapro mkv with 109 and another 109 for an octo. The mkv 109 had the tags on it and was new in the box until a month ago. It was so hard to take it out of the box and decide to dive it. She's 21 so it's well over twice her age. I had it checked and replaced the hoses just in case and she's diving the crap out of it. It's a beautiful setup with a Cressi digi2 guage. I love the brass.
oy0ly_5PSB-KlSTBiMzeTA.jpeg

Okay. I don't want to hijack a thread I've been involved in on the Conshelfs but someone had to go mention a 109. So, here's the pick of my daughter in her 1977 Scubapro mkv with 109 and another 109 for an octo. The mkv 109 had the tags on it and was new in the box until a month ago. It was so hard to take it out of the box and decide to dive it. She's 21 so it's well over twice her age. I had it checked and replaced the hoses just in case and she's diving the crap out of it. It's a beautiful setup with a Cressi digi2 guage. I love the brass.View attachment 776408
109’s yes, I have about 6 of them.
You did the right thing. Those regs were made to be used, and using it she is!
That reg looks a lot better than some plastic fantastic second stage. It’s like a fine piece of jewelry.

I hereby grant you full absolution for hijacking the thread I started… but only because you included a picture! 😁 Besides, that reg looks a lot better on her in the water than in a box on a shelf somewhere. I’m hoping to take a similar picture of my eldest niece soon with one of my AL 1085s in her mouth soon.. she’s 41, bot the reg she’ll be using is still a good 10 years older than she is.

🐸

If Conshelf kits are being shut down then what do they plan on doing about pre 2007 Titan kits?
From what I understand they are the same kit.
Does that mean that Titan owners are SOL too?
Silent Explorers seems to have complete kits for Conshelf/early Titan 1st stages:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom