Rec Diver splurge? Cheapo, Petrel 2, or OSTC Sport

Which computer would you go with for a rec diver who plans to dive 2x a year. No tech diving ever.

• Aeris A300 (Oceanic VEO 2.0) - ($200 + $90 cable)

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Deep6 upcoming computer ($140 + $20 cable)

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Used Shearwater Petrel 2 (around $500)

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • New OSTC Sport (around $560 USD new. Seems unlikely to find used.)

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • None, just rent/use what shops have

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I find annoying is "two is one, one is none": it's a recursive definition by which two is also none, as is three and so on. And by strong mathematical induction: infinity equals zero. That don't compute.

What I find annoying is "two is one, one is none": it's a recursive definition by which two is also none, as is three and so on. And by strong mathematical induction: infinity equals zero. That don't compute.
Probability!
Three diving lights(one main and 2 back up) are usually recommended for overhead environment. Why?

How many spare tire usually in a car and how many wheels in a car? How often you have puncture?

If you think "redundancy" is NOT necessary, it is your choice.

Last edited:
Probability!
Three diving lights(one main and 2 back up) are usually recommended for overhead environment. Why?

How many spare tire usually in a car and how many wheels in a car? How often you have puncture?

If you think "redundancy" is NOT necessary, it is your choice.

My life support equipment is my brain. My redundancies are my dive computer and my buddy. If I ever went diving solo (which I've no intention of doing), or in overhead environment (ditto), then I'd use my brain to re-adjust my redundancies.

I have not punctured a bike tire in several years and I don't carry a spare when I'm riding to/from work. Why? -- Because it'll take about as much time to walk the bike the rest of the way as to swap the tire and inflate it with the tiny pump that I also have but not carry on daily commutes.

I haven't had a bike flat for a very long time, of course, I have Kevlar tires. I also dive, solo, with an AI computer, and a non-AI backup with an SPG.

And I carry a spare tube and the pump on longer rides.

I pulled a nail out and plugged the tire on my g/f's Jeep just last week. I would do the same if I were riding my motorcycle somewhere and got a (fixable) flat. Unrepairables do happen.

Carrying a spare tire in your car is pretty simple and easy, so you do it. Carrying a spare tire on your bicycle is not particularly convenient at all. Carrying a spare tube is, and if I'm doing a bicycle ride that would yield a long walk if I had a flat at the furthest point, I carry a spare tube, tools, and a pump.

Carrying a backup computer is simply and easy. So I do it. And I dive solo sometimes, too.

So....??

So I use two computers on diving.
And I don't get 'annoy" if someone decide to carry more than three or none. It is none of my business and nothing to get annoy about. We all made our own decision, right or wrong is another matter.

So I use two computers on diving.
And I don't get 'annoy" if someone decide to carry more than three or none. It is none of my business and nothing to get annoy about. We all made our own decision, right or wrong is another matter.

Right, like I said: the decider. It was aimed at "how do you know?"

"Annoy" was a geek joke: if one is none and two is one, than that one is none and you need another one to make two, and so on. Look up recursion in wikipedia or someplace.

From what I've gathered over the years, they're both very capable and proven computers. In the US, SW has a clear advantage due to availability. It's less of an issue the other way around for us in Europe. The Perdix AI offers AI, so if that's a must-have feature for you it becomes a no-brainer too. Note that the OSTC Sport is being replaced by the more expensive OSTC Plus, which closes the price-gap with the (non-AI) Perdix.

I have an OSTC 2 myself, and I'm very pleased with it. Both OSTC and SW would be high on my shortlist if I wanted to buy such a computer new, and the deciding factor would likely be in the small details (size, weight, that sort of thing). One lesson learned: plain OLED is prettier than LED, but suffers from burn-in and dimming over time. I would stay clear of OLED due to this (experience from Liquivision Kaon)

I do think it's funny that nearly 7 years ago the Uemis SDA promised essentially the same as the Perdix AI. AI, OLED screen, Nitrox with Trimix planned. Trimix didn't quite happen, and the company went bust, but it's still the computer I remember most fondly, despite its flaws :D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom