Rec EXP Wing vs. Rec Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dazulrich

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there,

I know the verdict is still out whether the Rec wing as dual purpose (single + doubles) wing is an ideal solution for either purpose or in fact suboptimal and one should have dedicated wing for each config.

I am tempted to just go with Rec wing for my single 15l (100) steel tank at the moment and hope to add double 12l steel soonish.

Which of the Rec wings - the old version (bungees) or the EXP version (with those clips to attach wing to harness) is better for large and heary single tanks - Taco effect?

Or after all - is the Venture wing the most sensible solution - given that I don't have doubles at the moment. Oh, I have transpak with travel wing, while its great for travel, not enough lift for home.

/Daz

Last edited:
Hi Daz,

Either Rec wing has the lift you'll need for your tanks and both have solutions for the taco effect (the Rec EXP has clips built in, the traditional Rec has wing retainers). I would go with the one that best fits your stature and profile in the water.

If you are tall (182cm) I would say the traditional Rec will help you trim out in the water better, as it gives more lift at the hips because it is longer. I would also suggest the traditional Rec if you find that you are naturally more of a "feet down/heads up diver" again for the lift at the hips.

If you are shorter in height, I would go with the Rec EXP and/or if you are naturally a "feet up/heads down" diver.

I am 167 cm tall and I am naturally a feet up/heads down diver, meaning I have to counterbalance this effect with my gear. I cannot wear the traditional Rec, but I can wear the Rec EXP because it is a shorter wing. When I wear the traditional Rec, I have to really work to stay trimmed out in the water, which is a pain the back (literally).

I hope this helps.
Kathleen

Last edited:
Thanks Kathleen,

I'm about 6 foot (182cm), and probably more the feet down/heads up guy. Which would [-]"rule out" the EXP Rec[/-] suggest the traditional Rec wing. Darn, I liked the grey rally stripe on the side :wink:

/Daz

Daz,

Although I'm not with DR, I'll add my two cents...

I'm 182cm tall and I have the TransPac II with the traditional style Rec wing with bungies. I use it for both teaching with single AL80's and for cave dives in doubles. I have dove up to my double 121's with a stage and an AL40 O2 deco bottle with it and it had enough lift for all that. For an all around combination rig I think it works great with that wing! Hope that helps...

Bruce

Thanks Bruce and Steve.

In the other thread (in advanced scuba discussions) very different opinions are being expressed.. just shows how indivudual veryones perception and experience is.

It's a "passable" wing for heavy steel singles. But it's far from ideal, and in fact somewhat less than "perfectly acceptable" in my book. If you're diving it with a single AL 80 it borders on ridiculous.

You might dive it with a single tank and think it's fine, but if you did 20 dives with a really small single wing, something that's compact, streamlined and easy to vent completely without moving around, and then went back to the rec wing, you'd almost certainly notice a huge difference. That's what everyone's talking about.

As Kathleen gave me the answer I was looking for, I don't think this needs to be discussed in this thread...

/Daz

Daz,

Glad you can distinguish between the answers out there... There is always a lot of 'concept bashing' of ideas that don't conform to what specific training regiments teach.

When I was leaning to teach (it was teaching flying) one of the things my instructor taught me was this:

When I was learning to teach flying one of the most important lessons my instructor taught me, one that had far reaching benefits in life, not just aviation, was this. To do something well you need to know one good way to do that task. To teach something well, you need to be able to see all paths that will lead to success and mentor students down the one that is natural for them. The other side of the coin is you have be able to turn someone from a path that won't work to one that will and that fits with the way they think.

There is a difference between doing something well and teaching something well.

There hundreds of ways to do any task wrong but there is not one and only one way to do a task right!

Seems you've already learned that lesson! :)

Be safe and have fun in the water! Bruce

Kathleen.

was about to order the Rec wing (none EXP), and the dive shop tells me they were informed that the "normal" rec wing has been discontinued and the Rec EXP Wing will be the only rec wing model going forward.

Is that correct?

Ulrich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom