Rec to DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BClendening

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I know I've got a long ways to go, but I had some questions as to which roads to take. First off, I only have my open water certification, so I realize I've got a ways to go. I've been looking at getting the different gear, moving away from the rec diving world, and also taking classes. I just graduated college, so I'm waiting on background checks to get a job lined out, so I do not have an abundance of money.

As of now, I have a BP/W setup on it's way to me, other than that my regs and everything else are not "DIR compliant". I'm slowly working on getting the mask, fins, regs and such, but I'm also looking at classes. Would my best bet be to take an IANTD EANx class? I was originally looking at a SSI Stress and Rescue class, but to me that seems like is more common sense and following the DIR approach just seemed like it was more of a merit badge if that makes sense. Not to blow off the class, it just seemed more common sense in first aid to me than anything else.

Not sure what I'm really looking for through this post. Obviously I have a long ways to go as far as training is concerned. I guess I'm just looking for input on what to do as far as training and getting gear on a budget. The EANx class seems the most logical stepping stone to me, and at $100 is nice. What about gear, should I worry about getting a low volume mask, solid fins and moving to a DIN valve and getting two second stages? Gear wise, I'm still learning about the SMB shooting and spool concept, but that seemed like the next thing to get being I do not have any type of marker aside from two lights I'll be carrying. Probably not the right forum, but SP Jet Fins, does anyone know if the boot sizing is similar to Twin Jets? Nobody has them that I can try on and I'd like to order a pair, just not sure if I should change the size or not. I'm also diving wet.

Meet local DIR divers. Go diving with them.

Well, I know I've got a long ways to go, but I had some questions as to which roads to take. First off, I only have my open water certification, so I realize I've got a ways to go. I've been looking at getting the different gear, moving away from the rec diving world, and also taking classes. I just graduated college, so I'm waiting on background checks to get a job lined out, so I do not have an abundance of money.

As of now, I have a BP/W setup on it's way to me, other than that my regs and everything else are not "DIR compliant". I'm slowly working on getting the mask, fins, regs and such, but I'm also looking at classes. Would my best bet be to take an IANTD EANx class? I was originally looking at a SSI Stress and Rescue class, but to me that seems like is more common sense and following the DIR approach just seemed like it was more of a merit badge if that makes sense. Not to blow off the class, it just seemed more common sense in first aid to me than anything else.

Not sure what I'm really looking for through this post. Obviously I have a long ways to go as far as training is concerned. I guess I'm just looking for input on what to do as far as training and getting gear on a budget. The EANx class seems the most logical stepping stone to me, and at $100 is nice. What about gear, should I worry about getting a low volume mask, solid fins and moving to a DIN valve and getting two second stages? Gear wise, I'm still learning about the SMB shooting and spool concept, but that seemed like the next thing to get being I do not have any type of marker aside from two lights I'll be carrying. Probably not the right forum, but SP Jet Fins, does anyone know if the boot sizing is similar to Twin Jets? Nobody has them that I can try on and I'd like to order a pair, just not sure if I should change the size or not. I'm also diving wet.

Unless you have gigantic feet, get some XL jetfins.

I'd take Rescue, Nitrox, Advanced, Deep and Limited-Viz from SSI, while you're working you way through GUE -- although it helps to have GUE-trained SSI instructors. The Rescue course there is probably the most useful. Skip the Deep course if its all about an instructor taking you to 130 feet to get narc'd out of your mind...

For other gear get your regs and hoses configured.

Then work on the BP/Wing.

I wouldn't worry too much about the SMB at this point unless you've got some GUE trained buddies...

Pull the trigger on the drysuit whenever you get tired of diving wet and have the cash, don't worry about its DIR-ness.

Bottom timer and compass are also simple and halfway cheap things you can fix if they need fixing.

Thanks Lamont, I didn't mean to blow off the Stress and Rescue class, could have worded that better in the original post, it just seemed that Nitrox was the better option to take first with money restrictions.

As far as regs go, I'd obviously be getting DIN regs, so with the tank is there any benefit to get the DIN valves that have the Yoke adapter, or just get straight DIN valves?

Sorry for some dumb questions, I'm slowly learning about all the different versions of gear. Like the 300 verse 200 BAR DIN valves.

Well, Rainer has the best idea . . . the best way to begin to learn about DIR diving is to hook up with people who do it. b1gcountry, here on SB, is a DIR diver in St. Louis, and has said he's willing to meet up with people interested in the system, and help them. And the best way to develop into DIR diving is to take classes which teach it. That said, there are a lot of folks out there who have had some DIR training and are teaching for other agencies, but with a distinctly DIR flavor. If you can find one of those instructors to take a class from, you will get a toehold on the kinds of skills and ideas involved in the system. But taking tech classes from other agencies at random is a crapshoot -- you may be taught things which are very far afield from the DIR approach to diving, and have things to relearn later, should you decide to follow that path.

There are no GUE or UTD instructors in Missouri, but Ed Gabe is in Kentucky and has an excellent reputation. Another option would be to travel up to Chicago and take an Intro to Tech class from ppO2_diver here on Scubaboard (who is not a GUE/UTD instructor, but teaches from a very DIR perspective, and also has an excellent reputation as a teacher).

As far as equipment goes (and it is only a very small part of the system), if you have a BP/W and a regulator, all you need is to put the proper length hoses on the reg and tie yourself a necklace to begin with a DIR-compliant system. (Almost all regulators can be used at the Fundies level, so long as they are a downstream type.) Donating the primary is a key part of DIR procedures, so switching your configuration to be able to do that is an important early step. You will find non-silting kicks much easier to learn in a stiffer, non-split fin, but you can certainly work on buoyancy control and trim, and even more importantly, situational awareness, without changing your fins.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions I might be able to answer.

Pull the trigger on the drysuit whenever you get tired of diving wet and have the cash, don't worry about its DIR-ness.

I like this word. It entertains me. ha ha ha ha!

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago, I pretty much did what Lamont recommended. I was in a BP/W and long hose around dive 15 and basically went nitrox, SSI advance open water including nitrox and deep and then did stress and rescue. 100 dives later I finally got a chance to do fundies.

Finding mentors really helps but isnt critical imo. While many people will say not to try practicing stuff on your own I disagree. No reason you cant watch a ton of videos online and get a feel for donating the long hose, figure out trim position, and figure out fin techniques. From now and until you do fundies focus on buoyancy, trim, manipulating the long hose, frog kicking and most importantly buddy awareness. Buddy/situational awareness is probably the most critical skill to have so start focusing on it early.

How do you develop Buddy/situational awareness? When you start learning to drive you are told to scan your mirrors ever thirty seconds or so, check your speed, ect. As a new diver get in the habit of doing the same. Scan left to right every thirty seconds. During this scan check your buddy (is my buddy there?, is he on level with me?, anything odd with his gear? is he being eaten by a shark?). Check your depth gauge, get in the habit of trying to maintain a constant depth for these thirty second scans. Do a quick trim analyze. (is my head up?, is my back arched?, is my butt push against the bottom of the back plate?, are my knees up?). Also, every 5 mins take a look at your pressure gauge. Ask yourself home much gas did I consume since my last check? Equate that to your depth. Start getting in the habit now of thinking about how much gas you consume at a given depth over 5 mins. Start guessing how much gas you should have used before you check your actually pressure. This sounds like a lot of stuff but it will become habit quickly enough.

Of course do fundies as soon as you can even if you arent ready, dive a lot and dont forget to have fun :)

Mark

I head over to the Dive Stop at least once a month. If you ever want to make the drive over, we could do some diving. I could set you up with just about any gear you might want to try out.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom