Rec to DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the above posters, and will add to what they said -- I am under the impression that the first DVD 5thd-x made ("Essentials") didn't have any sort of voiceover work or explanations, whereas the Intro to Tech DVD does.

This really helps for those who might need a little more explaining than just a guy onscreen doing a frog kick.

I agree with the above posters, and will add to what they said -- I am under the impression that the first DVD 5thd-x made ("Essentials") didn't have any sort of voiceover work or explanations, whereas the Intro to Tech DVD does.

Does this DVD (Intro to Tech) have subtitles or closed captions? I believe I have the former.

I have to say, mts0628 is really not giving himself enough credit. Quite experienced, and he taught himself how to frog kick from watching a video -- and did a darn good job. Honestly that is one of the things that I can be frustrating to teach (IMHO), so I'm glad he taught himself.
04.gif
Sometimes even with video at school we have issues teaching people how to frog kick...their legs will go every which way except for the way they need to go.
Curious which video(s) you found to be most helpful, mts0628, and the process you went through to teach yourself the frog kick. This is a critical kick that recent dives have really drilled into me the importance of knowing. I silted up a complete blackout at 80 feet because of my lack of this skill (fortunately, we anticipated that this would happen and stayed on a cable so we would not lose each other or the way back).

To the OP: You sound just like me, trying to figure out a path to GUE/UTD skills. It's heartening to know I'm not the only one out there trying to do this, especially when my access to others with this knowledge/experience is limited. Good luck to ya! :)

Another poster earlier in this thread mentioned to take SSI Rescue and a number of other specialties. Is there a particular reason that you recommend SSI for the agency? I have been falling in love with a new dive shop that is TDI/SDI, and was considering taking rescue through them. Is there a particular reason SSI would be better? I tried asking this question elsewhere on SB, but it got no responses.

I've been holding off on Nitrox as well, thinking it would be included in Fundies. Thank you to the poster that suggested taking the specialty anyways, to give a baseline of skills upon which to build. This opens up my choices financially, as I've commited myself to taking at least one class/specialty/type of training every year to become a better diver. More stuff to think about, hmm. :)

Again to the OP: Thanks for starting this thread. :)

...Curious which video(s) you found to be most helpful, mts0628, and the process you went through to teach yourself the frog kick. This is a critical kick that recent dives have really drilled into me the importance of knowing. I silted up a complete blackout at 80 feet because of my lack of this skill (fortunately, we anticipated that this would happen and stayed on a cable so we would not lose each other or the way back)...

Hey rollerboi:

I just searched Youtube for terms like DIR scuba, and GUE kicks, and sifted through the videos. The SparticleBrane sent me some that I had not seen. As far as what I did, I got on my hard floor and practiced my leg motions, believe me I felt corny as hell, and then I practiced during diving. With no one to tell me what I was doing right or wrong before SB, I was just winging it. Feedback was paramount for me, well, it gave me something to think about before class.

Good luck!
Thomas

Proprioceptive feedback (thanks for the term, Lynne :D) is great when you are learning the kicks.

If you ever get a chance to look back through old DIR-F (and later -- GUE-F) class reports you'll see plenty of students on the ground or on a picnic table practicing trim and kicks.

This was abandoned awhile back when they decided that doing the kicks on the surface of the water gives students better feedback (at least that's the story I was told).

Some of the first words out of my GUE-F instructor's mouth on the first day of in-water training:

"So....everyone brought their snorkels, right?!" :D

rollerboi,

I think SSI was only mentioned because that is what my LDS teaches through, not really any other specific reason. I have found one guy that's pretty close that can instruct through IANTD and NSS-CDS, other than that I have found very few tech divers that are close to me. I have met people through boards that have been more than willing to allow me to tag along on their trips, which is awesome.

Hello all...I have a quick question and please forgive me if it's already been asked/answered here. I was wondering about the length of the hoses in a DIR style singles setup. Primary, secondary and gauge.

Thx

7 foot primary (5 is acceptable for non-overhead diving)
22" secondary
24" high pressure

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom