Rec to Tek, best transition???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Define CCR and SCR please? I thnk I know but am not sure.
I like the last suggestion, I shall look into this.

Edit, I was right just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

SCR= Semi-Closed circuit Rebreather. This is your basic deal, which doesn't conserve a whole lot of gas. An example would be the Draeger rebreathers that you see in all the ads.

CCR= Closed-Circuit Rebreather. Good stuff here. These things are completely closed, so the only gas you actually use is what your body metabolizes. Other than that, it's all recycled. These are quite a bit more complicated and expensive, and require unit-specific training. CCRs usually have multiple computers running them. An example of this would be the YBOD, aka the Buddy Inspiration, (http://www.silentdiving.com/inspiration.htm), and the Megalodon (http://www.customrebreathers.com/products.html.

The CCRs are the king of kings here, and although complicated are veeeery nice, seeing as instead of blowing through 260+ CF of mix on a deep dive, you would only use a teeny tiny bit of it. One thing you will learn in your training, though, is that just because you don't USE very much on a normal dive, you must carry enough in reserve to complete your dive on open-circuit gear.

So just how much bubble action is there with a SCR?...Im kind of thinking this is more the route I want to go.

Not much. Just a gurgle now and then. That's definitley what you want to start out with, then later on after you have OC (open circuit) experience doing tech dives, then you do the tech dives on CCR.

So should I rush out and buy a SCR? I wonder how much they are to rent, if available here at all?

Locally a Drager rents for about $35/day. If you want to go the SCR route then I would take a Drager class first and learn how they work before plunking down the money.

SCR's are not ideal for tech diving, with the exception of the RB80. CCR's are pretty much the only sane answer for deep (300'+) diving (IMHO).

Wildcard:
So should I rush out and buy a SCR? I wonder how much they are to rent, if available here at all?
Taking a class and renting a SCR such as the Dolphin would be a good idea to get an idea what rebreather diving is like and it is different than OC, but as has been mentioned the real benefits come from CCRs. I would not recommend the RB80 since it cost more than many very capable CCRs and at the end of the say it is still SCR.

Wildcard:

I have a few Rays and Dolphins for sale, but I guess you are a little too far away....I'm in the East, as in the Far East...

Boogie711:
Go ahead and ridicule, Diver0001. You have that right.

But I also have the right to explain that it ISN'T just the instructor, and sometimes it IS the Agency. Look, I'm not trying to be a GUEvangelist. I'm just relaying my personal experience.
All 2 years of it LOL.

WildCard,

There was no need to explain you desires for going tech to any on this board. I you say you want to do it thats between you and your insturctor. Folks keep talking about having NEED to go deep or long or go tech but Ill tell you right now that the majority of folks here dont really have a NEED to go tech OR even to start diving, we do it cause its what we like.

Get the info you need but dont feel like you have to explain yourself to us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom