Recent Belize trip anyone???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone considering visiting Ambergris caye, Belize should do it soon. Once South Beach Belize Real Estate Development - Ambergris Caye Belize Development, Oceanfront Real Estate gets under way the place will change radically for ever. And ecologists expect the reef locally to be destroyed.

When is this monstrosity getting under way? I can't even imagine this remotely fitting in with everything else on the island. I'm really bummed to see this. Terrible to hear about the reef too--do they even consider the environmental impact before starting on a project like this, or is it all about the $$$

Anyone considering visiting Ambergris caye, Belize should do it soon. Once South Beach Belize Real Estate Development - Ambergris Caye Belize Development, Oceanfront Real Estate gets under way the place will change radically for ever. And ecologists expect the reef locally to be destroyed.

Peter, you are over reacting again. The South Beach development is mostly on the lagoon side. where did you get the information about the "ecologists" expecting the reef to be destroyed by SB. i for one would like to talk to the ecologist who told you this as it will affect my business and where i live. I would like to see the study that the "ecologist" has made before say such negative statements here or anywhere else.

For contruction to ruin the reef it would mean there would be lot of run off. Since most of Ambergris is sand, that's not going to be a big factor....I would think. There was the big project right across the "river" at Boca del Rio, where they filled in the swamp during and just before hurricane Keith, which got totally washed out by Keith, and that didn't even kill the coral at Tres Cocos cut.
Development is going crazy though. I was looking at lots figuring I could still find something beachfront at least halfway between Mexico Rocks and Rocky Point. NOTHING is less than US$200,000 now. Crazy.

Steve - "again"? If you want to know one ecologist who is extremely worried about this, try Mito Paz. Let me ask you one thing - where is the sewage from this development going to go? As regards effect on the reef, this development may be some way away but it's close to the mangroves and areas of sea grass that are part of the same ecosystem.

But it seems to have been approved by bureaucracy at all significant levels and is going ahead (subject to them finding investors, hich I expect they will) so we will see what effect it has.

Do you have a financial interest in it?

South Beach? I thought this was a joke at first. That looks horrible. Why go to Belize if you want to be in Florida?

South Beach? I thought this was a joke at first. That looks horrible. Why go to Belize if you want to be in Florida?

Oh don't worry - there's no way you'll think you're in or near South Beach, FL while visiting Belize. Ever heard the saying "lipstick on a pig"?

Back
Top Bottom