Recent Diving and/or Snorkelling Experiences Eleuthra or Long Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CanadianTravelAgent

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm researching Bahamas Out Islands for my own family vacation. We are looking for less populated islands...ie not very touristy, but with enough infrastructure to go diving and eat out if we want too. Must be able to at least do some decent snorkelling. There's not too much recent info on this site for diving in Eleuthra or Long Island (found some posts from 2004 and 2008 for Eleuthra and one recent post for Long Island). Any recent info would be greatly appreciated!

---------- Post added June 16th, 2013 at 03:31 PM ----------

Also, just saw a recent Nov 2012 review of Ocean Fox in south Eleuthra. We like to see sharks, so this looks promising.
Exumas would be a possibility too, but needs to be land-based as we are travelling with kids (ages 4 and 8). Snorkelling has to be from shore. We take turns going out...one stays with the kids playing on the beach while the other goes snorkelling.

I just got back from a Bahamas liveaboard that stopped at San Salvador, Conception Island, and Long Island. Only one dive on Long Island on a 100' deep wreck, so I can't tell you anything about the snorkeling there, except that the water was notably cooler than at the other two islands (77 vs 81 elsewhere). But if you haven't already, check out San Salvador. From what I understand there's a few hotels/resorts on the island. We didn't spend any time on land, but it appeared that the coral heads extended most of the way to shore, particularly on the south side of the island, so I would expect snorkeling to be quite good in the shallows. The top of the reef wall was at about 50' to 60' deep, so snorkeling out there, where most of the sharks are, is probably not an option.

James

I just returned from a Bahamas liveaboard where we dove four days on Eluthera's southern "foot", If you go there, I suggest the snorkeling opportunities around the Cape Eluthera Resort and Yatch Club. Nearby shallow waters, but lots of big fishies with sharp teeth (sharks).

I'm researching Bahamas Out Islands for my own family vacation. We are looking for less populated islands...ie not very touristy, but with enough infrastructure to go diving and eat out if we want too. Must be able to at least do some decent snorkelling. There's not too much recent info on this site for diving in Eleuthra or Long Island (found some posts from 2004 and 2008 for Eleuthra and one recent post for Long Island). Any recent info would be greatly appreciated!

---------- Post added June 16th, 2013 at 03:31 PM ----------

Also, just saw a recent Nov 2012 review of Ocean Fox in south Eleuthra. We like to see sharks, so this looks promising.
Exumas would be a possibility too, but needs to be land-based as we are travelling with kids (ages 4 and 8). Snorkelling has to be from shore. We take turns going out...one stays with the kids playing on the beach while the other goes snorkelling.

I spent a week in Eleuthera and then a week in Exuma and the diving was 10x better in Eleuthera. I consider myself more of a wreck diver, but enjoyed every dive in Eleuthera. Most of the dives are really close to shore which is a treat from my normal NC Atlantic dives. I had planned to dive the North end of the island (since we were staying in the middle), but went south each time. Ocean Fox took 20 of our wedding party snorkeling on one day - an hour or so on a reef and then an hour or so at a nice little cove with a beach and reef. Al and Daryl at Ocean Fox took incredible care of all of our guests. The island definitely isn't fancy, but had everything that we wanted.

Feel free to PM me if there are any questions that I can help you with.

Back
Top Bottom