Recent Feedback on Cocoview (2003 vs 2006)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One more

Just found on their web site:

The Brita Pitcher Filter is not intended to purify water. Do not use with water that is microbiologically unsafe or of unknown quality without adequate disinfection before or after the system. Individuals requiring water of special microbiological purity should follow the advice of their doctor or local health officials regarding the use and consumption of their tap water and Brita water.

I would hate for someone to rely on this and this they're safer. Kinda like using Coca-Cola as birth control. All you get is a sticky baby.

Chaseh:
Is bottled water easy to come by at CCV? I'm headed that way and had not thought about having to brush my teeth with it.
They'll furnish all you need.

DandyDon:

Kind of.

You can have all the bottled water that you want from the 5 gallon jug in your room. It is received sealed from the water plant on the island. They set it on a table with a mini pump and you can drink all you want and they'll replace it as you wish. They do not like when you use it for rinsing your hair or cameras. There are ample rinse tanks with rainwater at the boat docks for either application.

When we go to CCV, and it is at least once a year, we take our empty over-the-counter water bottles from the Southbound trip and use them as "canteens", stashing one in the bathroom, and carrying a number on the dive boat. You can also buy the smaller bottles at the resort store. We prefer not to.

You can also fill your canteens at the main dining facility, as they stock the dispensers with the water as well as kool aid and iced tea.

I brush my teeth and swallow my pills with the canteen water. The island wide incidence of illness that was halted in 2002 (?) is the foundation for much of this thread. At first this was focused on CCV, but it was discovered that all of the resorts and restaurants were using the same bad Honduran approved cheese.

I say this to remind all, the satndards of health care and cleanliness are not what one is expecting back home, even at a national governmental level. It is nothing to worry about- just something to be aware of.

During that entire episode I partook mightily of the cheese products and boosted my cholesterol accordingly, as did my dive buddy, Ray. Many people around us were as sick as dogs, but it also goes to other factors such as resistance and lifestyle. Suffice to say, the issue was corrected at the factory on the mainland and that's the end of it.

Still, though, isn't it a bit smarter to drink the pure bottled water that is provided, especially since it is free?

Panama Jack:
I was ill the last week I spent at CCV in August 2003. I would like to go back, but the food was the cause of my stomach aches (and my wifes) on that trip. Has anyone had a recent experience?

I was there earlier this month with a large group & none of us had any issues ... except possibily overeating. :wink:

Maybe consider supplementing your diet (before & while at CCV) with a daily serving of yogurt for the beneficial bacteria if you are prone to stomach sensitivity. Also, coffee is not their specialty ... but their hot tea service is always available in the dining room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDon

Kind of.

You can have all the bottled water that you want from the 5 gallon jug in your room. It is received sealed from the water plant on the island. They set it on a table with a mini pump and you can drink all you want and they'll replace it as you wish. They do not like when you use it for rinsing your hair or cameras. There are ample rinse tanks with rainwater at the boat docks for either application.
Yeah - "need" not want. I guess some visitors could get carried away.

You're going to a dive resort, not a jungle camp. Food, water, and many other beverages included. :wink:

blowin_bubbles:
I was there earlier this month with a large group & none of us had any issues ... except possibily overeating. :wink:

Maybe consider supplementing your diet (before & while at CCV) with a daily serving of yogurt for the beneficial bacteria if you are prone to stomach sensitivity. Also, coffee is not their specialty ... but their hot tea service is always available in the dining room.
Didn't care for Honduran coffee, eh? :lol2: It actually is one of their specialities, but local style. Bet the DeCaf was instant, huh? I actually take a $10 coffee maker and two zip locks of American blend coffee when I go to Roatan, which seems silly - taking coffee to Honduras, but I like what I'm used to.

Go light on the tea and coffee, tho - drink lots of the kool aid to help prevent dehydration in a climate you're not accustomed to. Can lead to heat exhaustion, nausea, even worse problems.

DandyDon:
... Didn't care for Honduran coffee, eh? ... Go light on the tea and coffee, tho - drink lots of the kool aid to help prevent dehydration in a climate you're not accustomed to. Can lead to heat exhaustion, nausea, even worse problems.

Well, I didn't mean to speak for all Honduran coffee, but CoCo View's dining room coffee didn't suit my personal tastes - it was too watered down.

But Dan is right about minimizing the caffinated drinks, staying hydrated is considered a good habit to help you avoid DCS. CCV provides a 5-gallon container of bottled water in your room upon arrival, so there is no excuse not to stay hydrated .... Pack your sports bottle and your favorite powdered drink mix if you are one of those people who won't drink plain water( Gatoraide, Lipton or those little Crystal Light single-shots pack very nicely ) .

Also, the Hitchin' Post at CCV has bottled water for sale ( $1 or $2 US as I recall) .... And contrary to the paperwork we were given at CCV - the shark dive center , Waihuka, also had a small refrigerator cooler on-site in the briefing room with sodas & bottled water for sale ... though, if 12 people showed up, all expecting to buy a drink, somebody may have to share (note the word SMALL).

Also, our CCV room had it's own coffee maker & filter packs were provided ( regular & decaf) ... save that valuable luggage space!!!!!

DandyDon:
Didn't care for Honduran coffee, eh? :lol2: It actually is one of their specialities, but local style. .

You know, Don, I used to really enjoy the original version of CoCoView Coffee. I took some home and tried it up North- and altho it tasted the same, it really tasted nasty when I was at home.

It was a Honduran kind of thing, the so called "H Factor" is a big part of it.

Then the resort went through so many hoops to make the coffee more palatable to every Yankee's taste, why- I can't stand the stuff anymore. I get my coffee from the girls at the Hitchin Post now. Same mud like flavor.

Hey... this coffee tastes like dirt! Yes sir- it was "ground" this morning!

Coffee makers in the rooms. Yikes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom