Recent Increase In Great White Encounters SoCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Water_Addict_80

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I do a lot of night shore diving for lobster between Dana Point and San Diego. The increase of Great Whites being spotted very close to shore has gotten me a little spooked, 700m surface swims to the kelp make me feel like I am trolling :) The recent catch of a 7 foot great white from the shore by a Marine from Camp Pendleton reinforces my position, it is not going to stop me from diving but it is making me think when surface swimming to and from the kelp. I look forward to other SoCal divers comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well a 7 ft great white is par for the course in these southern waters, from what I understand. They say this is a rookery for great whites. At that length they are still eating fish, which is a good diet according to the FDA. What scares the &#*@ out of me is when they spot a 14 footer. Which a Lifeguard did at La Jolla Shores about 1.5 years ago. Those guys like to eat red meat. And the place I dive most often, doing about a 200 yard surface swim in my Sea Lion-inspired split fins? That's right: La Jolla Shores.

I tell people the only thing that actually scares me about scuba diving is Great Whites. People can tell me the statistics. I don't care. They scare the crap out of me.

There have been large GWs spotted off San Onofre for years, especially after they buried a dead gray whale on a nearby beach. Juveniles between five to eight feet are commonly seen in the Santa Monica Bay. There are a lot fewer than there used to be, but it does give you lots to think about while on the surface.

Ya, in 2010 there was a surfer who was bitten off San Onfre in the foot, they think it was a white, I figure if it is time then it is time.

mb-great-white-web-600x339.jpg

We had two caught (and released) at the Manhattan Beach pier last year. The photo is of one of those. They are likely coming in for the bait fish or at least the juveniles are. There have been a few sea lions wash up with obvious bite marks. But I still swim and dive in the ocean.

I guess that it has always been that and I just started paying more attention to the news, sometime ignorance is bliss

One reason I like diving off my island... you're in deep water quickly so generally no need for a long surface swim. Yes, I know... my current wetrsuit looks like it has been attacked by great whites repeatedly.

Has anyone actually been attacked from below during a surface swim?

Personally, I embrace my childhood fears by whistling the Jaws theme during long surface swims :wink:

I mean scuba divers surface swimming. Most of those incidents seem to be surfers. With a huge tank covering half the body, doesn't seem like a shark would go for a diver lying on their back.

Back
Top Bottom